Upgrading project to ASP 4.61, now I can't get it to run on the server (IIS 7.0) RRS feed

• Question

• User1072762708 posted

Hello - 

I had a website running a pair of web services under ASP 2.0. I am working on moving everything to 4.61 to handle the deprecation of TLS 1.0 & 1.1 on 3rd party API's that I pull into the site. 

1) I upgraded the site to 4.61 in Visual Studio.

2) I built and ran locally to confirm everything was okay. 

3) I Installed 4.61 on the web server (this is the first site on this server I'm migrating, but I have done so on another IIS 7.0 server without issue) 

4) Rebooted System

5) Published from local machine to IIS. 

6) Now I keep getting HTTP Error 503: The service is unavailable

7) After much googling and trying different things, I created a brand new website with a asmx file containing a single Hello World Function. I published that and receive the same issues. 

Checking in the logs, I am seeing the following:

1) The worker process failed to initialize correctly and therefore could not be started. The data is the error.

2) The worker process failed to pre-load .Net Runtime version v4.0.21006.

3) Application pool 'ASP.NET v4.0' is being automatically disabled due to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool.

4) A process serving application pool 'ASP.NET v4.0' terminated unexpectedly. The process id was '1288'. The process exit code was '0xfffffffe'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Monday, March 19, 2018 7:17 PM

All replies

• User283571144 posted

Hi dlpfis,

According to your description, I suggest you could firstly check the application pools status.

Like this:

If the application pool is stopped, you could enable it and runt the application again.

Checking in the logs, I am seeing the following:

1) The worker process failed to initialize correctly and therefore could not be started. The data is the error.

2) The worker process failed to pre-load .Net Runtime version v4.0.21006.

3) Application pool 'ASP.NET v4.0' is being automatically disabled due to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool.

4) A process serving application pool 'ASP.NET v4.0' terminated unexpectedly. The process id was '1288'. The process exit code was '0xfffffffe'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is due to something called "Rapid Fail Protection." When your underlying application crashes a certain number of times in a certain time period, the application pool is automatically disabled.

The default settings are 5 crashes in 5 minutes, but you can configure this yourself.

More details, you could refer to this article.

Since there is basically no information in your post indicating what is going on with your application, I'm afraid that it's really pretty hard to troubleshoot.

I suggest you could check the event viewer to see more details error message.

Best Regards,

Brando

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 7:33 AM