Dynamic Data - two beginner questions 1) n-tier and 2) scaffolding RRS feed

• Question

• User-939424565 posted

I am just completing my first data driven website. I followed the format that I found in www.asp.net/learn/database. I used an SQL2005 database and used typed dataeset in a DAL folder and built a BLL class for each of the tables that I used. Throughout the website, I used objectdatasource to connect to the BLL.

The above format taught me about designing in a 3-tier archetect.

I would now like to try using dynamic data for my next website. I started do some web search and asp.net forum searches on the topic of "n-tier using dynamic data". I was surprised that I found very little. I did find one website - http://weblogs.asp.net/craigshoemaker/archive/2008/07/01/6-steps-to-n-tier-asp-net-dynamic-data.aspx.

My first question is: When using dynamic data do you still follow a format that is similar to the database-DAL-BLL-User Interface that I found in the www.asp.net/learn/database tutorial? If so, where can I learn about the steps to so so?

Second question: I am starting to see a term called "scaffolding". For instance this website - http://weblogs.asp.net/craigshoemaker/archive/2008/07/02/dynamic-data-deep-dive.aspx. What does the term scaffolding mean and how does it fit (or does it fit) in the question of DAL-BLL archetiture.

Thanks for your insight,

John Feeney

Sunday, December 14, 2008 7:30 AM

All replies

• User600176218 posted

1) Probably not.  Dynamic Data was designed for RAD (rapid application development), and was designed to replace 3-tier architecture with one that is more responsive to your database schema, and changes to the schema.  You can argue n-tier vs. RAD until you're blue in the face, you just need to choose which one's best for your project.

2) Scaffolding is basically where a page is automatically created to display, add or edit data in a table.  The form fields on your page directly map to columns in the data table.  If there are foreign keys, the inputs will be dropdownlists, otherwise they'll be texboxes.  In Dynamic Data, you have a great deal of control over the inputs using page or field templates, but that's something to be learned after you get the basics down.

Sunday, December 14, 2008 5:40 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

I woudl recommend looking at the asp.net 3.5 SP1 videos here: ASP.NET in .NET 3.5 SP1 under the heading Dynamic Data. and then you can start to think about 3-tier see the Dynamic Data Futures Source Code DynamicDataFutures0716.zip

Hope this helps [:D]

Monday, December 15, 2008 6:30 AM