none
Windows Service User Interface RRS feed

• Question

• Alright, Here is my situation

I have created a multithreaded app with a windows service that does some Input output operations and running of excel macros from a network location. 

I need to run this multithreaded application continuously. I am thinking scheduled task is not a great idea in the sense that the starting and the stopping (graceful exit of all the threads) will not be possible.

If i create a service....

I understand that I will not be seeing any user interface through the windows service but I would like to have the flexibility to look at the excel report for debugging purposes (For example if there is an issue and the report hangs during running of the macro....).

So, I went ahead and checked "Interact with Desktop" for this service. It works fine except that it only allows me to use local system but not any other account credentials.

Is there anyway that I can use different account credentials along with "Interact with Desktop property" set for the service?

or

Is there any other way of running my application using other than a windows service or a scheduled task that will allow me to handle the start and stop of the application?

Thanks for the help

Srikanth

Friday, February 8, 2008 8:15 AM

Answers

• Is there anyway that I can use different account credentials along with "Interact with Desktop property" set for the service?
    No, services configured to run under a user account can't be marked as interactive.

However, I'm not sure about why exactly "graceful exit of all the threads will not be possible.".

But if you want to "have the flexibility to look at the excel report". I suggest that you can use EventLog or other log option(like writing to a log file) to achieve this.

Thanks!

Sunday, February 10, 2008 8:44 AM