Cannot Show Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Applications Editor RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to teach myself the ins and outs of SSDT (I believe it was formerly called SSIS; correct me if I am wrong).

So, I'm checking to see if a file exists, and I'm following the example here:

http://bidn.com/blogs/DevinKnight/ssis/76/does-file-exist-check-in-ssis

I entered the ReadOnlyVariables and ReadWriteVariables, and as soon I I click on the 'Edit Script' button I see this popup:

What am I doing wrong here?  How do I fix this problem?  Is something disabled?  Do I need to install something?

As an alternative, I tried the methodology I found here:

http://visakhm.blogspot.in/2011/12/simulating-file-watcher-task-in-ssis.html

That looks promising.  unfortunately, I don't see anything named 'Check for file presence' in my SSIS Toolbox.  unless, this is something I need to create and save in the Toolbox...that's the only thing I can think of.  It talks about creating a script task, so that would make sense.  Again, as I mentioned above, I can't create a script task because something isn't setup right, or configured right, or whatever.

Please help me get this working.

Thanks.

Knowledge is the only thing that I can give you, and still retain, and we are both better off for it.

• Edited by ryguy72 Sunday, April 13, 2014 6:54 PM
    • Moved by Kevin Cunnane [MSFT] Monday, April 14, 2014 5:30 PM Moving to the SSIS forum- they may be able to answer your question more effectively.
    Sunday, April 13, 2014 6:46 PM

Answers

• Hi ryguy72,

The issue occurs because the Visual Studio Tools for Applications (VSTA) design-time or runtime is not installed properly. This can be caused by the install order of the SSDT and SQL Server 2012 Integration Services service. Please open the Programs and Features window, and check which of the following components are not installed (supposing it is a 64-bit SQL Server platform):

• Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications x86 Runtime 3.0
    • Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications x64 Runtime 3.0
    • Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications Design-Time 3.0

The Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications Design-Time 3.0 component should be missing in your environment. Then, install the correct Design-time or Runtime component from the \redist\VSTA\designtime\ or \redist\VSTA\runtime\ folder of the SQL Server 2012 install media.

Reference:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/776248/could-not-load-file-or-assembly-microsoft-visualstudio-tools-applications-core

Regards,

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by ryguy72 Wednesday, April 16, 2014 12:13 PM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:33 AM
  • Hi ryguy72,

Thanks for your posting.

The “Programs and Features” pane is a pane of the Windows OS not SQL Server. You can open this pane from Control Panel or copy and paste the Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features URI to the Windows Explorer address bar and press ENTER.

The redist folder is a folder of the SQL Server 2012 install files. Please see the following image. If you also copy the install files of SQL Server 2012 to a file system from the DVD, you can install it from the file system instead of playing with the DVD. Otherwise, you have to copy the \redist\VSTA folder from the DVD to a different server that can read the DVD, and copy the folder to the current server.

Regards,

Mike Yin

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:00 AM

All replies

• SSDT is the SSIS 2012 and newer packages authoring tool.

What did you install?

You need SSIS and all the shared components installed locally.

You may not have anything Express installed.

Arthur My Blog

Monday, April 14, 2014 6:04 PM
  • I have SQL Server Developer edition and VS 2010 Ultimate. 

So, it sounds like SSIS is not even installed?  How can I confirm that?  How can I get SSIS installed?

Thanks,

Ryan--

Knowledge is the only thing that I can give you, and still retain, and we are both better off for it.

Monday, April 14, 2014 6:15 PM
  • Check in programs if installed. To install you need the SQL Server installation media and choose Integration Services.

Arthur My Blog

Monday, April 14, 2014 6:23 PM
  • Thanks for the follow up, Arthur.  How can I tell if SSDT is installed?  I'm looking at this.

If I double-click Integration Services Project, I get this.

It certainly seems like SSDT (or SSIS) is installed.  However, I can't add anything to my script, as I showed in my initial post.

I've had lots of other problems with this too.  I'm really new to all of this, so I don't know if it's me or the software.  Ugh.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:03 AM
  • Hi ryguy72,

The issue occurs because the Visual Studio Tools for Applications (VSTA) design-time or runtime is not installed properly. This can be caused by the install order of the SSDT and SQL Server 2012 Integration Services service. Please open the Programs and Features window, and check which of the following components are not installed (supposing it is a 64-bit SQL Server platform):

• Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications x86 Runtime 3.0
    • Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications x64 Runtime 3.0
    • Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications Design-Time 3.0

The Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Applications Design-Time 3.0 component should be missing in your environment. Then, install the correct Design-time or Runtime component from the \redist\VSTA\designtime\ or \redist\VSTA\runtime\ folder of the SQL Server 2012 install media.

Reference:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/776248/could-not-load-file-or-assembly-microsoft-visualstudio-tools-applications-core

Regards,

Mike Yin

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:33 AM
  • Thanks for trying to help!  I can't seem to find the 'Programs and Features window'.  I looked in the SQL Server Installation Center and I looked in the Reporting Services Configuration Manager; nothing.

Can you post back with step-by-step instructions as to what to do to get this working?

Also, I'm not sure where this path is.

...\redist\VSTA\designtime\

I have a structure like this:

I looked in several folders; I didn't see anything like what you described.

I look forward to getting your response, and getting this working!!

PS, I hope I can make this run without the DVD.  I just tried to read from the DVD yesterday and found out that neither of my DVD players could read the contents of the disk.  The surface seems perfectly clean; I don't know what the issue it.  Both DVD players can read all the DVD movies I tried, and all of the other software DVDs that I tried.  Ugh.

• Edited by ryguy72 Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:55 AM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 2:33 AM
  • Hi ryguy72,

Thanks for your posting.

The “Programs and Features” pane is a pane of the Windows OS not SQL Server. You can open this pane from Control Panel or copy and paste the Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features URI to the Windows Explorer address bar and press ENTER.

The redist folder is a folder of the SQL Server 2012 install files. Please see the following image. If you also copy the install files of SQL Server 2012 to a file system from the DVD, you can install it from the file system instead of playing with the DVD. Otherwise, you have to copy the \redist\VSTA folder from the DVD to a different server that can read the DVD, and copy the folder to the current server.

Regards,

Mike Yin

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:00 AM
  • Oh, that Programs and Features.  Got it.  I looked at that, and I installed the VSTA\designtime\ & VSTA\runtime\ too.  I actually got the DVD to work today!  The script seems to work now, so thanks for that.  I definitely I need to spend more time on this, and related projects, in the coming days, weeks, and months. 

Thanks for all the help with this thing!!

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:51 AM
  • Thanks for the solution, you saved my day :-)
    Tuesday, October 10, 2017 5:36 PM