SQL Server 2008 compatibility issue with VSLS2012? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just installed the new trial version of VSLS2012 and tried some simple test projects.  In the publish process, I was unable to complete the process for reasons that my SQL server 2008 was undetected.  Upon checking my SQL Configuration, I found out this error:

Is there any compatibility issue between SQL 2008 and VSLS2012?

Monday, October 22, 2012 8:33 AM

Answers

• The most obvious step is to make sure everything is up to date, service packs in particular for SQL Express. For sure, SQL2012 R2 did not work without latest SP and fixes. I cannot recall which version came with VSLS2011.

VS2012 uses new LocalDb not SQL Express. I don't think it has changed you existing SQL Express instance.

Dave Baker | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 Opinions are my own. Please mark as answer if this helps solve your problem.

• Edited by Xpert360 Monday, October 22, 2012 10:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, October 29, 2012 1:07 AM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 10:03 AM

All replies

• We are using SQL 2008 R2 and SQL 2012, both with VS2012, and have not noticed any problems.

Are you using R2 or not?

Dave Baker | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 Opinions are my own. Please mark as answer if this helps solve your problem.

Monday, October 22, 2012 9:17 AM
  • Not that I know of Nante. I've had both editions installed side-by-side.

Is the 2012 instance installed on your development machone? Or on another machine in the network?

Which instance is being dispayed in the image? Whichever it is, you should probably see if a "repair" fixes the problem you're having.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

If you find a reply helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful", if a reply answers your question, please click "Mark as Answer"

By doing this you'll help people find answers faster.

Monday, October 22, 2012 9:21 AM
  • @Dave- I am using the express version that came along when you install LS2011.  My SQL server run perfectly before I install VSLS2012.  I'm not aware if VSLS2012 also utilizes the same instance as with LS2011 or VSLS2012 install its own upon download.  

@ Yann- I am using a single development machine here.  I just don't understand why VSLS2012 alters the configuration of my SQL Server. 

Nante

Monday, October 22, 2012 9:55 AM
  • The most obvious step is to make sure everything is up to date, service packs in particular for SQL Express. For sure, SQL2012 R2 did not work without latest SP and fixes. I cannot recall which version came with VSLS2011.

VS2012 uses new LocalDb not SQL Express. I don't think it has changed you existing SQL Express instance.

• Edited by Xpert360 Monday, October 22, 2012 10:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, October 29, 2012 1:07 AM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 10:03 AM
  • LS 2011 installed SQL Express 2008 (can be upgraded to 2008 R2, but not "officially"), so it could use the "user instance" feature of SQL Express.

LS 2012 uses LocalDb (as Dave briefly mentions), which is a new feature of SQL Server Express 2012, but where an "instance" is not installed as it used to be, but is "spun up on demand". The idea of LocalDb was that it made it easier for developers to get the full power of SQL Express, but not need to know how to install/configure a "full" SQL Express 2012 instance.

I agree with Dave, I also fail to see how SQL Server 2012 has changed your SQL Server Express 2008 instance's settings. I think the problem could have arisen because you have installed your own instance of SQL 2012 (though I still don't see how that would affect SQL Server 2008, as I've also had a full instance of SQL Server 2012 installed with the SQL Server 2008 Express instance that LS 2011 installed).

The biggest problem with LocalDb, is that people *don't know it's there*, & then install their own instance of 2012 unneccesarily. LocalDb can still be viewed in SSMS, you just have to use "LocalDb\v11.0" (without quotes) as the instance name, which also gets used in connection strings.

Yann - LightSwitch Central - Click here for FREE Themes, Controls, Types and Commands

If you find a reply helpful, please click "Vote as Helpful", if a reply answers your question, please click "Mark as Answer"

By doing this you'll help people find answers faster.

Monday, October 22, 2012 10:21 AM
  • With the above screen shot, there is a problem with you sql server install or the permissions that are needed to read the service information are incorrect.

Have you changed the accounts that are running your sql server engine. Have you tried running the sql configuration tool under an elevated command prompt.

Go to the services snap in in control panel and check the services are running there, also check that on you machine that all services that are marked with automatic are ctually running.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:20 AM