Expression Blend 4 - How to add listpicker to prototype? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm trying to create a prototype for my application (Windows Phone 7) using Expression Blend 4, but I can't find an easy way to add certain common features to it.  One feature I'm trying to add is

I have a text box that I need to fill with some value like a country.  When the user taps the texbox I need a scrollable list of all countries to be displayed so they can pick one that gets filled into the text box.

I'm having trouble finding info on this that does not involve C#. If using C# is the only way I will do it, but there must be an easier way for just making the prototype,

Thanks for any help

• Edited by Sal_S Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:38 AM Forgot to mention this is for Windows Phone
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:36 AM

All replies

• Hello s1978.

Have you tried using a ComboBox?  You could then bind your TextBlock to the selected item in the ComboBox.  Although you might not even need the TextBlock.

Another option is to populate a list and bind to the selected item in the list.

Or you could put a ContextMenu on your TextBlock that pops up on right-click.

There's a good many ways to go about it.  Just let us know what you prefer and we can help walk you through it.

While the following is not really dealing with your request, it is a great walkthrough on databinding in Blend and how simple it can be.  Which can help you with binding to the selected item in a listBox or comboBox.

http://www.kirupa.com/blend_silverlight/intro_sample_data_pg1.htm

~Christine

My Gallery

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 5:44 AM
  • Thanks very much for the reply.  Sorry I forgot to mention in my original post that my application is for Windows Phone 7. Does this make a difference?
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:38 AM
  • Christine's information applies to Windows Phone 7 as well, though all the information in the link may not. Windows Phone 7 apps run a slightly modified version of Silverlight (i.e., not everything in the regular Silverlight libraries will work on Windows Phone 7).
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:11 PM
  • I figured out that I had to install the Silverlight for Windows Phone Toolkit so that I would add a reference to Microsoft.Phone.Controls.Toolkit.  In there were different controls like the Listpicker which is pretty straight forward to use.

But one thing I could not find easily was how to use the Listpickerpage.

Basically instead of the small combobox style list that expands, I want the list to fill the screen so the user can select from a longer list.  I've seen this implemented many times in apps, not sure how its done

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:15 AM