none
Does Microsoft plan on ever releasing a stable decent version of SSDT? RRS feed

• Question

• Does Microsoft plan on ever releasing a stable decent version of SSDT?

the old designer in VS2008 was a bit fidgety but at least it worked consistently. 

I fully understand that QA and UAT is only done on simple 5 step SSIS package designs so as to validate the process of releasing non production ready software.

Not asking for much here:

Just a version of SSDT that does not crash visual studio every 30 minutes when we try to make a non trivial SSIS package.  

Maybe the ability to move a connection line without the UI jumping all over or giving me an unhandled exception message box that says:

"Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. Width and Height must be non-negative. (WindowsBase)"

Maybe a version of SSDT that does not crash 40% of the time when you try to run a package in debug mode. And then require me to kill the DTSDebugHost process that is left stranded.

Actually sorry for having such high expectations. Lets lower the expectations.

Any chance we can get a version of SSDT that is not so clunky. Meaning one that does not run in slow motion. Can live with it all the other issues if at least the simple drag move tasks in UI would perform at say half the speed of something like visio.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 5:23 AM

All replies

• I never had any issue with SSDT and it never crashed. You may consider that your Installation is damaged.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 6:13 AM
  • Just to be clear SSDT is fine with small packages.

By complex I mean branching logic with loops, data flows, script tasks, remote data sources etc...

Do you have any large complex ETL packages? If not try making a large package and see what happens.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 4:45 AM
  • Same problem here. About 100 SSIS Developerand most of them are reporting problems. VS2008 works fine but we had to move forwardto SSDT for VS 2015. That version with the bug where Script Tasks randomly loose code. Therefore wie moved to SSDT for VS 2017, now we are considering problems with notworking data viewer and none displaying processed rows (occurs only on german OS & SSIS 2016). Also VS crashes from time to time. We are ready to move to VS 2019 but the SSIS extension is not stable and we cant roll out VS 2019 community because that version requires internet connection for activation after 30 days, not possible in our company where pcs are offline for security reason. We are considering to move away from SSIS because the biggest advantage was the easy to useIDE (VS 2008).
    Friday, July 12, 2019 7:45 AM
  • My personal opinion below:

MS has had many years to make SSDT a stable product. But instead its consistently gone from bad to worse. Depending on who you talk to issues range from random crashing to losing code to not working data viewer to sometimes the project opens but shows nothing to <<insert any issue you can possibly imagine here>>.

And no its not Visual Studio. Visual studio itself is rock solid and built by an amazing dev team. The issues are 100% to do with the SSDT extension and its development or rather lack of development. Reach out for support and all you get is a fob off canned answer like "check your installation". or "it works fine for me" from someone whose Idea of SSIS ETL jobs is nothing more than a simple data flow.

Note: SSIS / SSDT is not a free product where as is / where is / best effort style development would be acceptable.

My personal opinion (feel free to disagree) is that any continued development work on SSIS is just incurring further technical debt in a loss leader junk framework where everything will eventually end up having to be tossed away. Much like the product itself the SSDT team blog itself has been mostly abandoned for over 2 years now. This is the official SSDT forum. And yet not even a comment from anyone officially involved with SSDT.

Perhaps the reason could be because SSIS is deeply embedded in COM and SSDT team have the unenviable task of somehow trying to wrap all that COM with Dot Net wrappers. Unity is among the very few who have ever managed to do this well.

Investigating switching to Jaspersoft ETL AKA Talend Open Studio (DI and ESB). Its only negative is that Talend has been developed in Java which means using a Java environment like AdoptOpenJDK after the recent Oracle Java debacle.

SSIS is dead because the tooling is dead. We might as well accept that and move on.

Monday, July 15, 2019 10:41 PM