data protection RRS feed

• Question

• I want to protect using enc ryption  in tables and de crypt it at reporting end.  As I have not done this before,. can you please guide me, from where to start, is there any POC already done pls share the link. If I have to encrypt some of the column what steps I have to follow and how to de crypt this data

Neil

• Edited by Neilcse Wednesday, October 17, 2018 12:45 AM
    Tuesday, October 2, 2018 6:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) can be used to encrypt the data / columns in SQL Server Database. The encryption uses a database encryption key (DEK), which is stored in the database boot record for availability during recovery. The DEK is a symmetric key secured by using a certificate stored in the master database of the server or an asymmetric key protected by an EKM module. TDE protects data "at rest", meaning the data and log files.

For more details, please refer to the documentation.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/security/encryption/transparent-data-encryption?view=sql-server-2017

-------------------------

If this resolve your issue, please mark it as answered.

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 6:57 PM
  • Hi Neilcse,

Thanks for posting here.

Per your post, I couldn't catch some special requirement about SQL Server Encryption. Although I suggest one option, it may let you go wrong direction.

Firstly, please read this article to understand the way of encrypting data, Then try to choose one of them to achieve your goal.

SQL Server Encryption

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Neilcse Tuesday, October 9, 2018 10:44 AM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2018 6:00 AM
  • Any simple one table couple of column example to begin with, will be helpful. 

Thanks!

Neil

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 6:14 PM
  • Any simple one table couple of column example to begin with, will be helpful. 

Thanks!

Neil

Ok, please refer to these articles. I think you would know how to achieve SQL Server Encryption.

Reference

Implement Column Level Encryption/Decryption In SQL Server 2016

Getting Started with Always Encrypted using PowerShell

Parameterization for Always Encrypted – Using SSMS to Insert into, Update and Filter by Encrypted Columns

SQL Server Always Encrypted feature explained

Tag: Always Encrypted

SQL Server Encryption: Always Encrypted

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Neilcse Tuesday, October 9, 2018 10:44 AM
    Friday, October 5, 2018 9:13 AM