none
Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller with Exchange 2008 SP1 migration to Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I need a sanity check...

I am in the process of moving our servers to a VMware virtual environment and upgrading our current Domain Controllers from 2008 R2 to Server 2012. I need some guidance. Our current setup is as follows.

Server 1: DC global catalog on Server 2003

Server 2: DC global catalog, DNS, DHCP on Server 2008 R2 with Exchange 2010

Preferably, with the new setup, I want to bring up a new virtual Server 2012 DC and remove the DC role from Server 2 but keep Exchange on it. I would also like to decommission the Windows 2003 DC. After the roles have been split on Server 2 I would like to P2V exchange but that will be another issue.

Please any input would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, November 15, 2013 7:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Jose,

If you execute all this, you will end up with a single DC, which I'd be ... disinclined to do.

Aside from that I can only give you the usual caveats of having your backups ready, knowing when to quit, rollback and analyze what went wrong. Oh, and don't shut old, proven systems down until you verified the new ones are running fine.

Yes, I know, great words of wisdom, but likely you already heard those often enough in your career :)

A maybe slightly more profound reminder though: Remember you're migrating major infrastructure services here, so don't look at them in isolation, but also at who depends on them. Give them time to notice the changes before moving along to the next step.

Cheers,
    Fred

P.s.: Interesting that you should ask an Exchange Developer about DC migration. You may get more insightful responses in the Windows Server forums :)

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:40 PM
  • Don't remove the DC Role from Server 2 while you have Exchange installed on it! That is not a supported scenario and it would break Exchange.

Martina Miskovic

Sunday, November 17, 2013 4:31 PM