none
Multi Path test for Logo Certification RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am doing iSCSI Logo Certification i have configured and tested all the iscsi related test. But there is no MultiPath test ( I didnt install MPIO driver in the test system ) listing in HCK Studio iSCSI storage test.

If i want to do MultiPath test what shall i do and how to configure multipath setup in my test system. I didnt get proper info from the HCK help guide.

Vinayagamoorthy Mani

Friday, January 3, 2014 6:49 PM

Answers

• Vinay,

You can check the variations of all the test case listing in your submision in HCK Help file. Like Persisten Reservation test have two variations  with MPIO enabled and without MPIO enabled. So, make a list of all those test cases and rerun them with MPIO enable instead of running complete test suite again.

When all test done, be sure to delete the logs of duplicate test runs which you ran without MPIO.

Thanks,

Mudit

• Marked as answer by StorTrends Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:28 AM
    Tuesday, January 7, 2014 4:55 AM
  • yes this could be fine too.
    Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:17 AM

All replies

• Hi Vinay,

I'm not much aware of MPIO tests in HCK. But I have done MPIO manual test cases. For MPIO, you have to install Windows MPIO feature. make sure that your disk targets have multiple paths.

After installing MPIO feature, it'll detect all the Storage arrays from where disk targets are coming. for few storage array , you have to install storage array specific exe, so that MPIO will detect that particular storage array. Intially, in Disk management, if single disk target coming from  4 different paths, then it'll list as 4 disks. once you'll add those array in MPIO then MPIO will delete duplicate disks in Disk Management and will show as single disk.

You can add the MPIO feature in 'Add/modify Features' in HCK Studio, if your DUT supports MPIO and its implemented.

Thanks,

Mudit

Monday, January 6, 2014 6:26 AM
  • Hi,

If i completed all the test cases in Logo certification . Install MPIO driver in my test environment and do the following tests again and submit the log.

Persistent Reservation

SCSI Compliance

SCSI Compliance 2.0

MultiPath IO Test

Vinayagamoorthy Mani

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 4:31 AM
  • Vinay,

You can check the variations of all the test case listing in your submision in HCK Help file. Like Persisten Reservation test have two variations  with MPIO enabled and without MPIO enabled. So, make a list of all those test cases and rerun them with MPIO enable instead of running complete test suite again.

When all test done, be sure to delete the logs of duplicate test runs which you ran without MPIO.

Thanks,

Mudit

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 4:55 AM
  • Hi,

ok. I have another thought see once finish all the test case without MPIO generate the package fisrt. then rerun the test with MPIO enabled if tis passed use the latest one if its failed we can use the package which is not enabled MPIO.

Vinayagamoorthy Mani

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:15 AM
  • yes this could be fine too.
    Tuesday, January 7, 2014 5:17 AM
  • I'm running a win2012r2 iscsi storage cert with MS DSM enabled. We're not getting a catalog listing for ms mpio after a submission. Why isn't HCK 8.1 picking this up and populating the appropriate tests?
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 12:37 PM
  • Hi,

You will not get listed . The reason is,

After you installed MSDSM software in test computer. In the HCK2.1 Studio selected TAB select you Storage Multipath iTX disk, Microsoft Multipath DSM Driver and Microsoft Multipath Bus driver.

Then the corresponding Multipath test will display in your Test tab. Then pass this test.

Once you finished submit to Microsoft then only Default MPIO support will display for your storage.

IF this is correct kindly make it as Answer.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 1:02 PM
  • This adds all most of the tests I've already run time (x2). Do these have to be re-run?

thanks

Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:07 PM
  • Hi,

Yes rerun .. See my reply in " Multipath I-O test failure when installing fault injection filter ". Which you posted .

Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:11 PM
  • Really? I will, but this doesn't make sense. Some tests will be actually run three times? Even the old WLK 1.6 seems to sort out what tests are needed, requiring only one pass. I don't get this..

Thanks

Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:16 PM
  • Hi,

All the device Fundamental test will run for 3 times since you selected 3 items that is Your storage multipath Disk,Multipath DSM Driver and Multipath Bus Driver. Rest Of the test will run for 1 time only. 

Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:19 PM
  • Vinay, did you ever get a successful completion Microsoft Multi-path Bus Driver DF tests?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:07 PM
  • No. For me also Multipath Bus driver Failed .

Even if you try without Multipath Bus Driver Test .. Multipath I/O test will passed. But Microsoft said both Multipath Bus Driver and Multipath DSM Driver Module must for Multipath I/O test. Then why the test passed without Multipath Bus Driver.

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:08 AM
  • I sent a mail to Microsoft for this till now I didn't get any response. I don't know why Microsoft not response this kind of issue its really not fair.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:09 AM
  • Vinay, I'll post what I find when I get to the bottom of this MS multi-path bus driver crash. On your filter driver test failure, this test passes for my iSCSI storage cert.

Ross

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 12:44 PM
  • Ross,

I didn't get you. Can you explain clearly...

Thursday, March 27, 2014 3:16 AM
  •  Vinay, The two tests I have issues with are:
    DF - Concurrent Hardware And Operating System (CHAOS) Test (Certification) 
     DF - PNP Surprise Remove Device Test (Certification)

They fail because the Win2012r2 sut crashes during the test. I've asked our Microsoft TAM for either an errata or an explanation of why these tests crash when using MS MPIO.sys. The actual device being testsed is the Microsoft Multi-path Bus Driver.

I will post my finding here when these issues are resolved. Seems that many folks are hitting this problem.

Ross

• Proposed as answer by Ross_Thoms Thursday, April 3, 2014 12:34 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ross_Thoms Thursday, April 3, 2014 12:49 AM
    Thursday, March 27, 2014 12:38 PM
  • As promised, I'm posting my finding around MS catalog feature listings for MS MPIO. You need to select your Multipath Disk device, plus Microsoft DSM for the HCK certification. Contrary to what MS is telling me, I also had to add the Mircosoft Multi-path Bus Driver in order to get the Multipath IO test to pass. You can then deselect this component for the balance to the certification run. If you don't you'll probably crash on:

DF - Concurrent Hardware And Operating System (CHAOS) Test (Certification) 
     DF - PNP Surprise Remove Device Test (Certification)

MS has provided a hot fix for me to try and get past the crash, but also has repeated the Bus Driver selection isn't required. I'll find out when I submit my certification run.

• Proposed as answer by Ross_Thoms Thursday, April 3, 2014 12:50 AM
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 12:49 AM
  • Hi,

Are you saying that Multipath Bus Driver not required. Can you please attached the hot fix for me.

Just let me know the output after you submission.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 3:08 AM
  • The Bus driver doesn't appear to be required. (Other than I can't seem to pass the Multipath IO test without it.)I removed this component after passing the Multipath IO  test.

The Hot fix provided from MS didn't solve my crash issue. This case is still open. When I get a solution, I'll post it here.

Ross

Thursday, April 3, 2014 7:46 PM
  • Ok. have you submit your certification if yes. Let me know the whether you got the MPIO or not.

Friday, April 4, 2014 3:03 AM
  • Just checked Vinay, My product is listed for Multi-path I/O.

So, the Bus Driver isn't necessary and quite frankly doesn't pass MS certification when selected.

Ross

• Edited by Ross_Thoms Friday, April 4, 2014 12:23 PM
    Friday, April 4, 2014 12:17 PM
  • Ross,

Good. Now you got your Default MPIO... :)

Friday, April 4, 2014 2:02 PM
  • Ross,

I need some clarification in submission.

1. When you submitting the certification form what option you selected for iSCSI Disk whether you selected " Hard Disk " or Storage Array".  If I added HD.Raid Array from Add/remove features for iSCSI disks some test cases added those cases also passed for me.

Will I get RAID Array also list out in my Certification.

2. When you face some issues how you get touch with Microsoft. Our Company is partner but my issues responses taking time.

Please clarify me the above 2 doubts.

• Proposed as answer by Ross_Thoms Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:36 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ross_Thoms Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:36 PM
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 5:41 AM
  • 1. Storage Array

2. We work with a  Microsoft TAM that supports our company under contract

3. sysdev@microsoft.com has been a usefull resource for getting certification answers

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:39 PM
  • Ross,

For my first clarification - Just for confirmation...  Even if u are not add the features of HD.RAID array . Have you select Storage Array rite.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:44 PM
  • Not sure what you're asking. But.. I cert iSCSI storage array firmware.

I select my multipath disk device, MS DSM, and submit for Storage array, not Hard disk in the submission screen.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:55 PM
  • Ross,

Thanks. The reason is whether HD.RAID array is required or not...

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:00 PM
  • Vinay, yes HD.RaidArray is required to be able to select "Storage Array" in the submission

So, yes, select Device.Storage.Hd.RaidArray

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:37 PM
  • Ross,

Thanks. Soon i am also going to submit . I have some other work to do will let oyu the result.

I have doubt there is test name called " Operate in Server Core Test ". How you run this test.

Did you run any command to disable GUI features something or anyother... Let me know ...

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:42 PM
  • ok. got it rectify the error... test passed
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 4:30 PM
  • Remove the GUI: Uninstall-WindowsFeature User-interfaces-infra -Remove -Restart

Test should pass without too much dificulty.

Re-enabling the GUI is another story.. Broke with updates in win2012 R2

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 5:05 PM
  • Ross,

One final thing.  While submission in the below which option you selected.

Whether " Internal " or " External " - when this option asked.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:21 AM
  • Vinay, I used external. External to the server

Ross

Thursday, April 10, 2014 12:48 PM
  • Ross,

I need little information about the certification submission process. I am stuck in this first time I am doing this.

When I fill up the submission process its asking few questions can you please help me on my below information. What you give for your storage submission process.

Firmware Version:

Filter Driver Version:

Driver Version:

In testing matrix : Select all items that apply for your product

1. Multipath Supported through proprietary Product

Multipath Software Name:

Multipath Software version:

2. Microsoft MPIO Supported through Device specific Module

Multipath Software Name:

Multipath Software Version:

Feature: Select Each of the features that any apply to your product

1. Third party Non Microsoft Driver

2. SES

3.SAF-TE

Additional Information:

In Device Metadata Category - I have selected Storage HDD - Is this rite? and down there is a select option says " Internal Device only" - Do I need to select this.

Kindly tell me for my above information once I got I will submit my storage in Microsoft.

Saturday, April 12, 2014 2:00 AM
  • Hi Vinay, I do iSCSI storage array firmware certification, so I enter my fimware version and select external for the device under certification, I enter n/a for the filter driver and driver versions. I select multipath support through MS MPIO and MS DSM. I enter the version of the mpio.sys driver. (Not sure if this is mecessary.)

I have the option of selecting HDD drive or HDD storage array for certification. I select Storage Array, as it's the array firmware and device I want listed.

You must enter a day for (in my case) firmware release, upload your *signed* .hckx file and follow the progress steps for approval in the submission page.

Ross

Monday, April 14, 2014 1:05 PM
  • thanks Ross,

MPIO version is file version right?..

When I checked MPIO file version : 6.39200.16384 is this correct?

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 11:37 AM
  • MPIO.sys version will vary by OS.  also hotfix may load a different version. Check system32/drivers/mpio.sys

Again, I'm not sure if this information is necessary to include in a submision. Send a note to sysdev@microsfot.com for clarification.

Ross

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:34 PM
  • Ross,

When Submission, In Device MetaData Category there is 2 options

1. Storage.HDD

2. Component.Storage.Controller.Array

Which one need to select and what did u select in this 2 options.

Whats your Storage Product you certified for?. Just want to know about your storage server.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:18 PM
  • Ross,

Little mistake in my information, the correct options are,

1. Storage.HDD

2. Component.Storage.Controller.RAID

which one need to select and what did u select

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:19 PM
  • Vinay, If you 're certifiying a storage array, choose Component.Storage.Controller.Raid. The other option is for HDD drives.

Ross

• Edited by Ross_Thoms Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:25 PM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:24 PM
  • Ross,

Got the certification for windows server 2012 R2.

I have doubt, we got certification for windows server 2012 only iSCSI interface tests not RAID, Default MPIO, Multipath.

Can I run only 3 tests cases ( RAID, Multipath I/O, Default MPIO ) then submit the certification in Microsoft.

Whether Microsoft will add these certifications (RAID, Multipath and MPIO) in my existing server 2012 certification.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 7:18 AM
  • Hi Vinay, That's a question for sysdev@microsoft.com, but my guess is you'll have to resubmit a signed .hckx with all the required tests. 

Ross

Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:40 PM