Programmatically lookup fields cross site collections RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

With SharePoint 2010, we can programmatically create a custom field for lookup site column cross site collections. However, it seems not to be possible in SharePoint 2013. Has anyone got hands dirty on this case?

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    -T.s

Thuan Soldier
    A 23-year-old man loving Microsoft technologies and making crazy ideas on business journey.
    SharePoint Vietnam | Blog | Twitter

Saturday, January 25, 2014 5:04 AM

All replies

• The following example provides what you are looking for: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/619118/Cross-site-Lookup-Column-for-Sh

If that doesn't work, can you explain what errors you are seeing?

Dimitri Ayrapetov (MCSE: SharePoint)

Saturday, January 25, 2014 10:58 PM
  • Thank Dimitri, I will have to look into it to check whether it supports lookup fields cross site collections or not.

@Amr Fouad: The managed metadata field is itself a form of lookup column so doesn't allow it's values to be used in a lookup.

We have tried with custom field but seems it doesn't work in SharePoint 2013. With SharePoint 2010, there is no problem. I'm wondering whether lookup fields cross site collection is a nightmare or not.

Thuan Soldier
    A 23-year-old man loving Microsoft technologies and making crazy ideas on business journey.

Sunday, January 26, 2014 3:37 AM
  • I just wanted to update you Dimitri that the article supports any lists in any sites within a site collection. So this doesn't meet the requirement of two separate site collections.

Thuan Soldier

Sunday, January 26, 2014 3:39 AM
  • Generally speaking "Cross-Site" refers to Cross-SiteCollection (as opposed to "Cross-Web"), but there are other commercial examples on the market. Which problem / error are you seeing when you try to do the same via code?

Dimitri Ayrapetov (MCSE: SharePoint)

Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:47 PM