none
Windows Azure adoption trends RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I am keen to understand use cases where customers are adopting Windows Azure. I am in touch with number of customer and lot of them feel Azure is not ready for enterprise business....

Can we debate little on this here, i am sure it will help lot of people....

Thanks

Sanjay Kumar

Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Sanjay,

In some cases it takes time to fully grasp what a technology platform can do for you. And Azure certainly falls in this category. Many will view Azure as another hosting offering, not really understanding what a PaaS is all about. I have seen some resistance in larger corporations; but that's usually due to the fact that the platform is still in its early phases of development.

I went through a project with a large customer that wanted to evaluate Azure. Many of the shortcomings identified as part of that project were actually demonstrated at PDC10 as upcoming features. In the end however, this customer stumbled on a single issue: which data should be allowed in the cloud? Any cloud... not just Azure. So what began as a technology discovery ended up in legal's territory. :)

That's not to say that there wasn't any value in that exercise. In fact I see a few customers really understanding the value of the platform after an initial prototype / small project. So that's usually the path I follow; I try to identify a project that is a low hanging fruit, something not too hard to implement that still provides value.

So in the end, while Azure is maturing and may not be ready for the Enterprise fully just yet for advanced scenarios, I find the Enterprise is usually not ready for cloud computing either. Prototyping and learning about Azure is a good way to bridge the gap.

Herve Roggero, Blue Syntax MVP SQL Azure Co-Author: Pro SQL Azure
    Friday, January 14, 2011 4:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Sanjay,

In some cases it takes time to fully grasp what a technology platform can do for you. And Azure certainly falls in this category. Many will view Azure as another hosting offering, not really understanding what a PaaS is all about. I have seen some resistance in larger corporations; but that's usually due to the fact that the platform is still in its early phases of development.

I went through a project with a large customer that wanted to evaluate Azure. Many of the shortcomings identified as part of that project were actually demonstrated at PDC10 as upcoming features. In the end however, this customer stumbled on a single issue: which data should be allowed in the cloud? Any cloud... not just Azure. So what began as a technology discovery ended up in legal's territory. :)

That's not to say that there wasn't any value in that exercise. In fact I see a few customers really understanding the value of the platform after an initial prototype / small project. So that's usually the path I follow; I try to identify a project that is a low hanging fruit, something not too hard to implement that still provides value.

So in the end, while Azure is maturing and may not be ready for the Enterprise fully just yet for advanced scenarios, I find the Enterprise is usually not ready for cloud computing either. Prototyping and learning about Azure is a good way to bridge the gap.

Herve Roggero, Blue Syntax MVP SQL Azure Co-Author: Pro SQL Azure
    Friday, January 14, 2011 4:24 PM
  • Hi All,

I was little confused about the what is the future of window azure that why there are some question in my mind.

(1) Is window azure is that much powerful to change the trend and scenario of software development which was announced by Microsoft?

(2) Window azure works on which technology and languages if i want to learn window azure. is it works on C# in .net or any other technology?

(3) Is there any difference between window azure & sharepoint?

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 10:30 AM
  • Hi All,

I was little confused about the what is the future of window azure that why there are some question in my mind.

(1) Is window azure is that much powerful to change the trend and scenario of software development which was announced by Microsoft?

(2) Window azure works on which technology and languages if i want to learn window azure. is it works on C# in .net or any other technology?

(3) Is there any difference between window azure & sharepoint?

For 2

From developers perspective - windows azure development platform is similar to the previous platform as the tools and techniques remain the same. you can use c#, .net , etc and even php for that matter to deploy on windows azure. There are some considerations though - they are minor and can easily be learned.

For 1

I may not be the right person to comment on this - but this is my personal belief : cloud computing will find a niche in the world of computing. i am of the belief that it will co-exist with other forms of computing.

Though Azure may not satisfy needs of all business cases - It will satisfy needs for a lot of business cases!

- Paras Doshi,  http://www.parasdoshi.com
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:45 AM