Monitoring Azure Tools Publish Events RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm trying to write a simple VS2010 Addin that can perform an action when the currently loaded Azure Cloud project starts publishing and completes publishing.  I don't seem to be able to find any events that I can latch onto in order to know.  I've tried the PublishEvents in the Events2 interface but they just don't fire.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Nick.

Friday, August 19, 2011 2:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Nick,

The Publish Events is for Microsoft internal use only, it is not expected to use any other place.

Which kind of automation do you want to perform? As a workaround, you may try to write a MSBuild pre-publish task and post-publish task to acchieve this problem.

Regards,

Yi

Yi Feng Li [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Trolololoooo Monday, August 22, 2011 9:39 AM
    Monday, August 22, 2011 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Nick,

The Publish Events is for Microsoft internal use only, it is not expected to use any other place.

Which kind of automation do you want to perform? As a workaround, you may try to write a MSBuild pre-publish task and post-publish task to acchieve this problem.

Regards,

Yi

Yi Feng Li [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Trolololoooo Monday, August 22, 2011 9:39 AM
    Monday, August 22, 2011 9:22 AM
  • Hi Nick,

Regards,

Yi

Yi Feng Li [MSFT]

Hi Yi, That's great, I'll take a look at the MSBuild pre-publish and post-publish tasks, they sound like they would probably be more suitable anyway. I don't really want to automate anything, just play some "lift music" whilst it is publishing to help curb the boredom of waiting 15 minutes minimum each time ;) Nick.
    Monday, August 22, 2011 9:39 AM
  • Because publishing to Windows Azure can take a significant amount of time, the publish process of the Windows Azure Tools is somewhat customized (e.g. the Windows Azure Activity Log).  I am not aware of any extensibility points for the start or end of that publication process.  However, with recent versions of the tools and Windows Azure SDK you can significantly reduce the iterative development/deployment/test cycle time for web roles by enabling Web Deploy (see http://blogs.msdn.com/b/cloud/archive/2011/04/19/enabling-web-deploy-for-windows-azure-web-roles-with-visual-studio.aspx).

Regards,

Phil Hoff

Windows Azure Tools for Microsoft Visual Studio

Monday, August 22, 2011 5:49 PM