Visual Studio Integration Services target version vs SQL Server SSISDB version compatibility RRS feed

• Question

• In an Visual Studio integration services project I can have Target server 2012,2014,2016,2017,2019

I noticed if I have a SQL Server 2017 SSISDB and upload Visual Studio integration services solution of target version 2012 at least first time I ran the solution from SSISDB it seems to upgrade and can take a long time doing that.

I didn't test all the scenarios.
    It lets me deploy a Visual Studio Integration Services project of target version 2019 against a SQL Server 2012 SSISDB too.

Is it documented somewhere if Visual Studio target version and deployed version does not match what happens (should happen)?
    If Visual studio version is lets say 2019 can we deploy to any SQL Server SSISDB version starting 2012 and up would that work?

Gokhan Varol

Monday, January 27, 2020 5:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Gokhan,

SSIS has two distinct environments:

• Development environment, in Visual Studio (VS) with SSDT (or SSIS Projects for VS 2019)
    • Run-time environment, on a server where SQL Server instance is installed.

A single VS IDE allows to develop SSIS projects and packages targeting different run-time environments.

That's why you should always set VS TargetServerVersion setting value matching your run-time SQL Server instance version.

Monday, January 27, 2020 5:10 PM
  • What happens when they do NOT match is my question. What is the expected behaviour. Would it convert the first time and not need to convert again. What if v2019 is deployed to SQL 2012?

Is this behavior documented somewhere.

Please note visual studio does not warn you or stop you to deploy any version to any target, is this intended?

Gokhan Varol

• Edited by GV1973 Monday, January 27, 2020 5:37 PM
    Monday, January 27, 2020 5:13 PM
  • Hi Gokhan,

If there is no match, results are not predictable, and you should expect a run-time failure.

As a SSIS developer you are responsible to know what is your targeted run-time environment.

Monday, January 27, 2020 6:03 PM
  • That is not what is happening. And where is it documented what happens when the targets do not match?

Gokhan Varol

• Edited by GV1973 Monday, January 27, 2020 6:22 PM
    Monday, January 27, 2020 6:21 PM
  • Hi Gokhan,

Here is a good read for you on the subject: SSDT VS2015 Gotcha - Target Server Version - new feature

Monday, January 27, 2020 6:33 PM
  • Please stick to the original question, it is very specific.

Gokhan Varol

Monday, January 27, 2020 6:46 PM
  • Hi Gokhan,

Please refer to the following links:

A Tale of Two Properties: SSIS ProjectVersion and TargetServerVersion

Backwards Compatibility in SQL Server Data Tools for Integration Services

Best Regards,

Mona

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 9:46 AM