Secure FTP through proxy server RRS feed

• Question

•  

I tried using the FTPWebRequest object to do a secure FTP download through my proxy server.  However, with the proxy object set correctly and EnableSSL=true, when I execute the getResponse method I get an exception of "SSL cannot be enabled when using a proxy."  I will likely be using a production server that is behind the firewall and will thus need to communicate through the proxy server.  Is there a .NEt way to do secure FTP through a proxy server?  I could use the IPSwitch ws_ftp program to do it, but don't want to go through our purchasing process if there is a simple way to do this with .net code.

Monday, August 7, 2006 9:18 PM

Answers

• Currently this is not a supported scenario for FtpWebRequest. If it is just the firewall you're worried about you can specifically allow your application to go through the firewall.

Mariya

Tuesday, August 8, 2006 5:57 PM

All replies

• Currently this is not a supported scenario for FtpWebRequest. If it is just the firewall you're worried about you can specifically allow your application to go through the firewall.

Mariya

Tuesday, August 8, 2006 5:57 PM
  • and how do you get trough a firewall?

my problem is that I want to run my ftpUploadApplication at my office... they work in a Domain, with proxy, firewall, etc...

uploading to a local ftp works fine, but when I want to upload to a public server, outside our company (domain, proxy, firewall), ik won't work... I'm programming in C#, asp.net 2005...

kind regards

Friday, April 6, 2007 1:33 PM
  • This thread should be locked. 

The original question was posted in 2006.  However, the problem persists and this page gets google hits from people looking for a solution.

This has attracted spammers.  The responses from 2010 add no value whatsoever; they are an attempt to sell a product that provides a solution, not an attempt to solve the problem. 

As such, they are an impediment to anyone searching for a solution to this problem.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:50 PM