TITLE: SQL Server Setup failure. ------------------------------ SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error: Unable to generate a temporary class (result=1). error CS1567: Error generating Win32 resource: The process cannot access the file beca RRS feed

• Question

• TITLE: SQL Server Setup failure.
    ------------------------------

SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:

Unable to generate a temporary class (result=1).
    error CS1567: Error generating Win32 resource: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. 

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&EvtType=0x4F2D2386%25400xE9BC3D64

BUTTONS:

OK
    iam getting this error while installing can any one give me a solution how to rectify this error?
    Saturday, July 21, 2018 6:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

1. Does the computer / server have an antivirus product?
    2. Make sure that no updates WU (Windows Update) were installed at the same time.

Avis de non-responsabilité:
    Mon opinion ne peut pas coïncider avec la position officielle de Microsoft.

Bien cordialement, Andrei ...

MCP

• Edited by SQx Saturday, July 21, 2018 6:32 PM updated
    Saturday, July 21, 2018 6:32 PM
  • TITLE: SQL Server Setup failure.

SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:

Unable to generate a temporary class (result=1).
    error CS1567: Error generating Win32 resource: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. 

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&EvtType=0x4F2D2386%25400xE9BC3D64

BUTTONS:

OK
    iam getting this error while installing can any one give me a solution how to rectify this error?

From my experience there can be 2 reasons

1. The account with which you logged in did not had complete permission to extract file on tempdb. You have to make sure you are admin on local machine and make sure you always right click on setup file and select run as administrator to make sure installation runs with admin rights

2. Disable any anti virus for period this installation is running. AV can also block the access on temp files

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

• Proposed as answer by Xi Jin Thursday, August 2, 2018 8:31 AM
    Sunday, July 22, 2018 5:15 AM
  • Hi abdulirfan,

First what's your SQL Server and Windows version?

Then according to the error, it seems like that something else is holding the file. Have you tried to restart your computer? Also, I think you can try Process Explorer to find out which process is using the database file and kill it.

By the way, except for the anti virus, please also make a check on the firewall settings. If it is on, temporary turn it off.

Thanks,
    Xi Jin.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Xi Jin Thursday, August 2, 2018 8:31 AM
    Monday, July 23, 2018 6:30 AM