none
Which technology to use to make Web Services? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I want to ask which technology should I use today in 2016, to develop web services. Earlier in my search, I found WCF which is made specifically for Web Services. After a lot of struggle and getting my SOAP (basicHttpBinding) WCF service finally to work, I find that it's better to make REST services and not SOAP. Turns out WCF does support REST service with webHttpBinding, but I should rather use ASP.NET Web API for it since it's better suited for REST services. Then I read that ASP.NET Web API is getting outdated and I should rather use Web Service in the new ASP.NET Core 1.0.0

So which way should I go? I'm just starting to make web service so I'd rather like to learn the best one.

Thank you!

- Prateek Jain

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 4:38 AM

Answers

• Hi Prateek Jain,

>>" Then I read that ASP.NET Web API is getting outdated "

No, it is not getting outdated. ASP.NET Core is a new broad framework which include ASP.NET Web API inside.

>>"So which way should I go? "

You should install ASP.NET Core and choose ASP.NET Web API template. Link below is for your reference.

Building Your First Web API with ASP.NET Core MVC and Visual Studio

If you have further questions which related to ASP.NET Web API. Please post your question on ASP.NET Web API forum for dedicated support.

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 1:19 AM