none
risk assesment tool for .Net 4.0??? RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to move windows app to .net Framework 4.0 but getting push back from infrastructure guys on the risk of deploying .Net 4.0 to the enterprise desktops (all XP SP2). Was wondering if any of you have good reference URLS or tools to help manage risk assessment and prove that having .Net framework sit on the client machines would not break other apps already installed. 

Thanks in advance for your time. 

Santiago 

Santiago Perez Software Engineer
    • Moved by PhilWilson Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:06 PM This is a .NET FW install issue, not a setup Project question. (From:ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects)
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Santiago,

Thanks for your post.

First, the .NET Framework 4.0 requires Windows XP SP3 installed, so you'll have to upgrade to Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3). For more information about .NET Framework 4.0 system requirements, please see:

As far as I know, I did not aware of such documentations about .NET Framework risk assessment released by Microsoft. But since .NET Framework is loaded by applications using it, a much higher risk is from .NET applications rather then the .NET Framework itself. And the installation of .NET Framework will not affect most of applications already exists in your system.

If you have any concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Santiago,

Thanks for your post.

First, the .NET Framework 4.0 requires Windows XP SP3 installed, so you'll have to upgrade to Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3). For more information about .NET Framework 4.0 system requirements, please see:

As far as I know, I did not aware of such documentations about .NET Framework risk assessment released by Microsoft. But since .NET Framework is loaded by applications using it, a much higher risk is from .NET applications rather then the .NET Framework itself. And the installation of .NET Framework will not affect most of applications already exists in your system.

If you have any concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 7:26 AM
  • Hi Santiago,

We have not heard from you in a couple of days. Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions?

If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Friday, June 24, 2011 10:01 AM