Can I debug on a physical Surface via USB? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a bit confused, I'm just about to run an app under debug and specify a remote machine. The last time I did this was with Visual Studio 2012 and both system were Windows 8.0 and I'm certain I did it when the Surface device was connected to my desktop PC via a USB cable.

However now it seems as if this is not possible and I must connect them over an Ethernet link.

Is this true? has VS 2013 or Windows 8.1 changed in this respect? is there a way to debug like this over USB by selecting some option?

Thanks

Cap'n

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• It's never been supported. You need to use Ethernet or Wifi.

See Running Windows Store apps on a remote machine:

The remote device and the Visual Studio computer must be connected over a network or connected directly through an Ethernet cable. Debugging over the internet is not supported.

--Rob

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:19 PM

The remote device and the Visual Studio computer must be connected over a network or connected directly through an Ethernet cable. Debugging over the internet is not supported.

--Rob

Hmm - perhaps I debugged locally and then just copied the App over to a folder on the Surface...
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:22 PM

--Rob

However I must have been able to "see" my Surface box after connecting it via USB, I'm sure I saw something like that when I connected my Surface to my PC via USB - now neither machine has any awareness of the other...
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:28 PM
  • Rob this just isn't making any sense - I just copied an App that I want to test to a folder on the surface, but it' won't start due to "This application can only run in the context of an app container". So I did not and could not have run any apps this way (Unless Windows 8.0 allowed this).

But I have several apps on here from testing I did prior to updating to VS 2013 and Win 8.1 - these apps are visible as icons on the Metro screen, I can touch these and they start running.

If I try to debug using Remote Device then I must forcibly specify the IP Address of the Surface, when I do that VS tries but eventually times out saying "There were deployment errors".

I seem to recall possibly needing Remote Debugging support running on the Surface but it all seems different now under VS 2013 and Win 8.1

Cap'n

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:33 PM
  • You have (re)installed the Remote Debugging Tools on the surface?
    Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:40 PM
  • It's essentially the same. You can't just copy and run an executable on Windows 8 or Windows RT. You need to install its app package. You must have done that for your original versions, just not for the new ones.

See Debugging and testing on Windows RT PCs for full details.

--Rob

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:59 PM
  • It is certainly possible to deploy apps to the Surface RT using a non-Store appx package - you install them using powershell.   AS Rob said, you can't simply copy executables from one machine to another, they have to have the correct appx package.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013 3:14 PM