none
USB-IF Test results log file format... RRS feed

• Question

• I have only one HCK test to pass to be able to certify our device which is "USB-IF Certification Valdiation Test (Device)". The documentation says to set INTEROP_TEST_PASSED to TRUE which I did and to place the log files at "C:\Usblogs\". What I placed are the results of the testing of USB-IF's USB 2.0 Command Verifier, they are the ones that open when you press the 'Goto Reports Directory' of that utility. 

When I run the USB-IF Test in HCK though it fails giving the following errors in its log file.

Do I have to format the log files in a certain way (for example by changing it's file name)? I have tried to look into documentation and search all over the net, but I can't find anything relevant about the log file names. Any help/suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks.

Monday, March 11, 2013 10:09 AM

All replies

• Hi guys, just an additional question. Is testing with the actual final version of the USB hardware necessary when making these tests? (USB-IF USB20CV or USB30CV). Because we are just using an earlier/prototype version of the device and making changes later on might render the earlier tests done as invalid. Any thoughts/suggestions?
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:56 AM
  • Please attach your device to [SuperSpeed Root port]. Run "USB30CV" and select "Chapter 9 Tests". Copy and place all log files at "C:\Usblogs\".
    • Proposed as answer by MWPau Saturday, May 13, 2017 12:21 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by MWPau Saturday, May 13, 2017 12:21 PM
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 10:02 AM
  • Hi Josh. Can we use USB20CV though? The reason is that we are using a USB 2.0 device and our current USB hardware doesn't support USB version 3.0, that's why when we run USB30CV it says there is an error. Or in HCK the having a hardware that supoorts USB 3.0 the only way to pass the tests?
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:51 AM
  • Hi,

Josh is correct, you need to run the USB 3.0 Command Verifier tool from the USB-IF ("USB30CV") with the device attached to an xHCI (SuperSpeed) root port.  You have mentioned that your device is a USB 2.0 device so you will run the "Chapter 9 Tests [USB 2.0 devices]" test suite.  Once you have run and passed this test suite, you will click the "Goto Reports Directory" and copy the log files to "C:\usblogs\" on the HCK client machine.

You mention seeing an error when you run the USB30CV, can you elaborate?  Is it a test failure?  Were you running the "Chapter 9 Tests [USB 2.0 devices]" suite which specifically targets USB 2.0 devices?  With regards to your last question, your device does not have to be USB 3.0 capable to pass the HCK tests.  The kit simply requires all devices to be tested behind a USB 3.0 controller, even if they are USB 2.0 devices.

Best Regards,

Philip Froese

USB Team, Microsoft

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 2:54 AM
  • Hi Philip,

You mention seeing an error when you run the USB30CV, can you elaborate?

=The error was 'A USB 3.0 controller was not found' (when USB 3.0 Command Verifier starts).

Is it a test failure?

=As stated above it looks like there is no USB 3.0 controller in my machine which seems to be required for the test.

Were you running the "Chapter 9 Tests [USB 2.0 devices]" suite which specifically targets USB 2.0 devices?

= When I try to press Run on the USB 3.0 Command Verifier Chapter 9 tests the message 'Test suite Failed.' shows.

I have some more questions for you though:

It mentions in the USB-IF documentation that interoperability test is required in addition to the Chapter 9 test. Getting a glimpse of the USB-IF document referenced in that document it says that a USB topology must be set up, we currently don't have the resources for that currently.

USB-IF documentation

Universal Serial Bus Implementers Forum FullandLowSpeedElectricaland Interoperability Compliance Test Procedure

Does the interoperability tests need do be done or is it just optional? I mean providing HCK with logs files from a passed USB 3.0 Verifier tests and setting INTEROP_TEST_PASSED to true.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:41 AM
  • (Posting these links on behalf of Philip Froese)

Hi HaryuMic,

Yes, you will need a USB 3.0 controller (xHCI) to run the USB30CV, as well as the WHCK USB tests.  Per the hardware prerequisites detailed here:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh998730.aspx  you will need both a USB 2.0 (EHCI) and USB 3.0 (xHCI) controller on the test client system.

Regarding your second question, please refer to the MSDN documentation: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj124583.aspx and the associated white paper: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj124583.aspx for the complete details on your options.  The USB Interoperability test procedure is not optional.  It must either be run by the USB-IF test lab in the process of obtaining full USB-IF certification, or you have the option of setting it up yourself, per the documentation you linked above, and running it on your own.

Friday, March 15, 2013 5:59 PM
  • Currently there is a bug in the HCK which makes it impossible to pass the usb IF validation test.

The test to validate USB30CV Tool log files has a bug.  The test uses USBIFValidation.exe to parse the .html log files output from the USB30CV Tool.  USBIFValidation.exe fails with the error 'Unexpected log type, or malformed log'.  

It took two days to work this out, but the problem is that USBIFValidation.exe looks specifically for a string 'Chapter 9 Tests [USB 2.0 devices].cvtests' in the log files.  The USB30CV Tool produces log files with a string 'Chapter 9 Tests [USB 2 devices].cvtests'.  Editing the string from 2 to 2.0 fixes the problem.
    • Proposed as answer by RFrati Tuesday, August 25, 2015 8:19 AM
    Friday, April 10, 2015 4:25 PM
  • Hi Hondata,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  We have brought up this breaking change with the providers of the USB30CV.

Best Regards,

Philip Froese

USB Team, Microsoft

Friday, April 10, 2015 8:29 PM
  • Hello.

Actually I found out that replacing USB 2 to USB 2.0 is not enough for actual USB3CV version. I needed to replace all single quote (') by quote (") in all meta data strings of html.log.

<META name="Suite-Name" content="Chapter 9 Tests [USB 2 devices].cvtests" />
    <META name="Suite-Result" content="PASS" />

Probably USB-IF changes log format without Microsoft cooperation.

Best regards,

Nelup

Friday, May 13, 2016 11:28 AM