Dimensions don't seem to want to be shared RRS feed

• Question

• In SSAS 2005  I have created 2 data source views which are based on exactly the same data sources.  I'm wanting a cube based on each of these DSVs.  I've created the first cube and related dimensions.  The second cube has a couple of dimensions that are specific to it but the rest are identical to the first cube. 

However, I am unable to add the dimensions of the first cube to the second cube.  They are not listed in the "Add Cube dimensions" wizard.  For example, one of these common dimensions is a time dimension.  It's only visible to the first cube.

So it seems that dimensions are only shared when they have a common DSV.  I'm reluctant to have one big ugly DSV just to share the dimensions.  Is there an alternative approach?

Thanks

Monday, June 20, 2011 3:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can actually create sub views of your data source view in BI-Developer Studio. There is a window to the left for that.

HTH

Thomas Ivarsson

• Marked as answer by Challen Fu Tuesday, June 28, 2011 10:04 AM
    Monday, June 20, 2011 5:32 PM
  • You can use Diagram Oraganizer to create smaller DSV out of the main DSV. If you have a Adventureworks sample SSAS solution , you would be able to notice seperate DSV's for "Internet Sales","Reseller sales" etc in the Diagram organizer pane. By using this you can create smaller DSV's per subject area for better understanding out of the one big DSV. I think Thomas is also suggesting the same one.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189383(v=sql.100).aspx

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can actually create sub views of your data source view in BI-Developer Studio. There is a window to the left for that.

HTH

Thomas Ivarsson

Monday, June 20, 2011 5:32 PM
  • You can use Diagram Oraganizer to create smaller DSV out of the main DSV. If you have a Adventureworks sample SSAS solution , you would be able to notice seperate DSV's for "Internet Sales","Reseller sales" etc in the Diagram organizer pane. By using this you can create smaller DSV's per subject area for better understanding out of the one big DSV. I think Thomas is also suggesting the same one.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189383(v=sql.100).aspx

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 6:31 AM