none
How to change the default install folder in .net 2005 setup project? RRS feed

• Question

• HI

I've created a windows application using VS 2005 (c#). I also have a setup project. My query is how I can specify which folder to install the app in? And yes I know there are system folder keys like [Program Files Folder] etc etc. But I need it to install in a completely different under my C:\. Do I need to create a registry key for the folder and if so how do I go about doing that? Or is there a simpler solution to this? This folder exists in all my client machines, so hardcoding wouldn't be an issue.

Please do help me, I've been trying to find a solution for a long time now.

Thanks in advance,
    Praseetha
    • Changed type Country_Lass Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:48 PM not in the right forum
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 12:07 AM

Answers

• (Really belongs in Windows Forms=>ClixkOnce and Setup&Deployment Projects).

It depends on whether you can find a standard folder property that matches where you want to install the files to, and what "under my C:\" means more precisely. Generally speaking, default application files that have no location requirement default to the ProgramFilesFolder and the user can change it with the Browse button. Others that have required locations (CommonFilesFolder, GAC etc) are marked in the setup project as going to those locations.
    Phil Wilson
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 12:51 AM
  • Hello Praseetha,

You may post your issue on the Visual C# General Forum or ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects Forum so you can get better and quicker response as this forum here is for the setup of .net framework.

Thanks.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    Friday, March 5, 2010 9:59 AM

All replies

• (Really belongs in Windows Forms=>ClixkOnce and Setup&Deployment Projects).

It depends on whether you can find a standard folder property that matches where you want to install the files to, and what "under my C:\" means more precisely. Generally speaking, default application files that have no location requirement default to the ProgramFilesFolder and the user can change it with the Browse button. Others that have required locations (CommonFilesFolder, GAC etc) are marked in the setup project as going to those locations.
    Phil Wilson
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 12:51 AM
  • Hello Praseetha,

You may post your issue on the Visual C# General Forum or ClickOnce and Setup & Deployment Projects Forum so you can get better and quicker response as this forum here is for the setup of .net framework.

Thanks.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    Friday, March 5, 2010 9:59 AM