none
MVC or webforms for cloud application? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I need to make an important decision regarding my application which i am developing for the web.

The big question is MVC or webforms?

I know both have their advantages and disadvantages but want to use the arictecture which will not be too painful to maintain in the future and allow me to easily extend

Hopefully the application with serve thousands of people on the cloud.

any thoughts and comments on this would be great

cheers

Thursday, June 23, 2011 8:15 AM

All replies

• do contact Microsoft directly for professional help.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 9:07 AM
  • is that chargeable? who are the people to contact?
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 2:07 PM
  • Hi,

I would suggest go with MVC for following reasons

1> More control over HTML markup

2> Seperation of Concern (ofcourse, that is MVC meant for) and supports TDD and Agile methodologies

3> Easy to maintain and more flexible and maintainable

There is a video on this discussion over here http://www.asp.net/general/videos/choosing-the-right-programming-model. probably useful

and also have a  look at MVC3 - Razor.

and as miss.eleanor suggested you can contact Microsoft with your reaquirements.

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer". If this post is helpful please click "Mark as Helpful".
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:40 PM
  •  

MVC is new and shiny, so you should use that.

Oh wait a minute. Did you want business reasons?

Well the views are more flexible so you can swop em out if you want to suit mobiles as well as PCs.

I think the winning aspect is unit testing though. By insisting on separation of concerns it's a better fit for automated testing and TDD.

If you don't do TDD and unit testing then you should probably think twice before choosing MVC.

With webforms you'll probably have the thing written and to market faster.

It's a much more mature product and you just drag drop your datagrids or whatever rather than hand crafting them from the bedrock. 

Or...

Maybe you want MVC on your CV.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:02 PM