Load a report based on the parameter RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi, Is it possible to load a report based on the parameter?
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 5:45 PM

Answers

• Explain in detail. What you are trying to do? is it you have a report viewer which should display report based on the parameter selection? From where you are trying to access the report?

If its within reportserver and no client application involved then use the below approach

1. Use as many subreports which is equal to total number of reports that you want to display. Create an empty report layout and have all these subreports placed on same location. Create paramter and toggle the visibility of all these subreports based on the parameter selection. This is not advisable as too many subreports may cause performance issue and you need to write extra logic for all the subreports to not handle the dataset loading if the corresponding paramter for that particular subreport is not selected. Otherwise every single subreport's parent report will run the backend query mapped in their dataset.

If you are accesing report from client application

2. SImple approach would be just passing the corresponding report url based on the paramter selection from client application and not within report layout. In this case you can use report viewer control and set the url of the report based on paramter selection.

Mark this reply as answe if this solves your issue.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:03 PM
  • If all 3 reports has same layout then use expressions inside table/matrix/chart whichever is used and filter the data based on the parameter selection. No need to create multiple reports/sub-reports. If they dont have similar layout then use option 1 explained in previous thread. Please mark the reply as answer if it solves.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:17 PM

All replies

• Explain in detail. What you are trying to do? is it you have a report viewer which should display report based on the parameter selection? From where you are trying to access the report?

If its within reportserver and no client application involved then use the below approach

1. Use as many subreports which is equal to total number of reports that you want to display. Create an empty report layout and have all these subreports placed on same location. Create paramter and toggle the visibility of all these subreports based on the parameter selection. This is not advisable as too many subreports may cause performance issue and you need to write extra logic for all the subreports to not handle the dataset loading if the corresponding paramter for that particular subreport is not selected. Otherwise every single subreport's parent report will run the backend query mapped in their dataset.

If you are accesing report from client application

2. SImple approach would be just passing the corresponding report url based on the paramter selection from client application and not within report layout. In this case you can use report viewer control and set the url of the report based on paramter selection.

Mark this reply as answe if this solves your issue.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:03 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.  Just to explain in more detail, I have three different reports, say daily, monthly and yearly.  I want to have the user select either daily, monthly or yearly from a parameter list and whatever they select retrieve the appropriate report. 

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:28 PM
  • If all 3 reports has same layout then use expressions inside table/matrix/chart whichever is used and filter the data based on the parameter selection. No need to create multiple reports/sub-reports. If they dont have similar layout then use option 1 explained in previous thread. Please mark the reply as answer if it solves.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:17 PM
  • Hi All,

My requirement is same I have a query of Type in condition in database query i.e

I have table emp 

select * from emp where deptsupport in (?);

? The parameter will enter by user like GM, PG, AM or GM or GM,PG

in my output it will show one text field then user will end the values please let me know how to proceudre...

Thanks in Advance

• Proposed as answer by Suman007 Monday, March 24, 2014 6:32 AM
    Monday, March 24, 2014 6:12 AM