Is Windows Explorer a metro style app???

Answers

All replies

• LorenWu,

Windows Explorer is not a Metro style application, at this time it only runs on the desktop.

Thanks,

Chris
    • Proposed as answer by Irfanfare Tuesday, December 27, 2011 5:31 PM
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 1:09 PM
  • Yes, it is a metro app (like Windows Update). Use IsImmersiveProcess function from user32.dll to verify this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh448383(v=vs.85).aspx

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by LorenWu Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:06 AM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:52 PM
  • Are you sure IsImmersiveProcess() returns true for Windows Explorer?  It's clearly not a Metro app.  It's not Metro-styled and runs in desktop mode, not Metro mode.  If IsImmersiveProcess() is really returning true, it's probably a bug in the API.
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:12 PM
  • Yes, I'm sure. Look at the Picture:

The Explorer Hosts the Metro-Shell (SHcore.dll, twinui.dll) and so it is a Metro app.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:18 PM
  • The version of Windows Explorer in Windows 8 includes not only the Start Menu (when enabled) and the Taskbar, it also includes the Metro Start Screen, the Charms, and the "swipe in from the side" functionality. Windows Explorer actually provides part of the framework for running Metro-style applications in Windows 8, but this is an expansion of the existing Explorer shell as far as I know. I would not call Windows Explorer a Metro-style app by itself.

How do I know this? Open a Metro-style app, open Task Manager from the Security menu (not the desktop) and close Windows Explorer. You'll see what I mean.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 11:30 PM
  • Thanks you guys !!

it is true a metro app ,that's great !

i may try to  use it's process as a service  for my desktop app to call some WinRT APIs that can't work in normal desktop app (like local ToastNotification or  some Proximity api), is that any problem ??

ToastNotification API can run well under the Windows explorer process !

Thursday, December 29, 2011 2:16 AM
  • It is a true Metro app, that's great!

I'm not convinced that it is a true Metro app. Explorer can run even when Metro is turned off. As I said before, Windows Explorer goes beyond Metro. In case you're wondering, the desktop is NOT a Metro-style app, no matter how much Microsoft wants you to think of it as one. It would be incorrect to call Windows Explorer in Windows 8 a Metro-style app, even if it does share some elements of Metro.
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:09 AM
  • It is a true Metro app, that's great!

I'm not convinced that it is a true Metro app. Explorer can run even when Metro is turned off. As I said before, Windows Explorer goes beyond Metro. In case you're wondering, the desktop is NOT a Metro-style app, no matter how much Microsoft wants you to think of it as one. It would be incorrect to call Windows Explorer in Windows 8 a Metro-style app, even if it does share some elements of Metro.

Yeah!Windows Explorer is different from normal metro Apps ,it's more than a metro app though has many metro features!

Thanks!

Thursday, December 29, 2011 6:08 AM