none
Working with .INI Files - Need assistance. RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently been tasked to see if it is possible to create a word form that imports data from  *.ini files. 

As it stands the output to *.ini is the only format the database will export for us. 

I need to have the form dynamically adjust by creating new fields depending on the number of customers. I was provided an example where the form uses legacy fields as a reference to change the value but currently it only works for 1 customer at a time. 

Any information will be valuable as I need to report back to management regarding if this is the correct approach.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 3:47 PM

All replies

• An ini file is just a plain text file with content in a particular format. Without knowing how the data in the file are formatted and what you want to do with them, it's impossible to give specific advice on how you might do the processing. That aside, have you considered using a mailmerge to extract the data directly from the database? That would obviate the need for the exported ini files.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 11:11 PM
  • Hi,

Since you have an example which works for one customer at one time, could you please share with us? Maybe we could try to modify it.

Besides, I suggest you share a sample .ini file with us to check how we could import data.

Regards,

Celeste 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 4, 2016 12:21 PM
  • I am working on getting a sample form I can share. Would you be able to communicate through email directly? 
    Thursday, November 10, 2016 4:21 PM
  •  

Hi,

I suggest you post issues on the forum, so that more community members could see and come to help and it would be helpful if others have the same issues.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Celeste 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 11, 2016 9:49 AM