Expressions web and FrontPage extensions not working RRS feed

• Question

• I have a weird mystery going on with frontpage extensions. 

I know that they are set up on the host's server because I am able to use Expression Web to upload to my website and can verify the changes.

However, each time I publish, Expression Web gives me the warning that my forms won't work because the host doesn't have extensions turned on.

Forms that worked before, for example, on this website www.everythingmenopause.com (to sign up for the newsletter) no longer work.

Can anyone tell me why? Thanks in advance for helping.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 6:10 PM

All replies

• CL,

Ask your web host to check the installation of the FP Extensions to verify that they are working properly and reinstall them if they are not. I suspect that one of the FPSE dll's has gotten corrupted. When you contact your host, be sure to give them the exact text of the warning you received.

-Preston
    Columbia, CA. USA http://www.gildedmoon.com
    Monday, December 15, 2008 6:18 PM
  • Yes, this is a good answer, but it is of no help unfortunately because GoDaddy has been contacted 4 times about this issue and each time I get the same answer - they tell me the extensions are working properly on their end and that's all they can do to troubleshoot it. They recommend I uninstall and reinstall the extensions, which I've done now half a dozen times to no avail.
    Monday, December 15, 2008 6:24 PM
  • CL,

Thanks. Well, sir, if that's as far as GoDaddy will go for you, then perhaps it is time to seek a new hosting service. I have heard that GD's support leaves something to be desired, and your comment seems to bear this out, unfortunately.

I am in the process of developing a new site that will not rely on the FPSE's because of their inherent fragility, and also because many hosts that offer Windows platforms are no longer using them. I wish it were otherwise because, in concept, the FPSE's offer interesting and useful functionalities.

-Preston
    Monday, December 15, 2008 6:55 PM
  • Preston B said:

I am in the process of developing a new site that will not rely on the FPSE's because of their inherent fragility, and also because many hosts that offer Windows platforms are no longer using them. I wish it were otherwise because, in concept, the FPSE's offer interesting and useful functionalities.

-Preston

Well, yeah, but they are proprietary functionalities. Microsoft, to its credit (although probably because of the push provided by Firefox), has been moving toward standards-compliance with each browser since IE6, which, IIRC, was the first to be able to switch off quirks mode. You can't have it both ways, unfortunately.

Fortunately, and this may be another motive for their benign neglect of FPSE, virtually all of the functionality can now be provided either by one of the javascript/AJAX frameworks such as jquery, spry, mootools, etc., or by server-side technology such as php and Microsoft's own ASP/ASP.NET, or a combination of both. There really is no reason to stick with a proprietary technology which only runs on FPSE when there are so many alternatives which work cross-browser and on all server types.

FPSE were fine in their day. Proprietary, not compliant, but largely functional. But, their day is past. RIP, FPSE...

cheers,
    scott

Monday, December 15, 2008 7:11 PM
  • I agree with you, Scott, that their days are over. The new technologies you mention are more robust and, most importantly, cross-browser and 'standards' compliant. The Web has certainly undergone a paradigm shift from static html to dynamic, data driven sites and this makes for a pretty steep learing curve that causes a resistance to change. I know it's been a challenge for me, but what the heck; it sure is fun to learn new things and put them to work!

I hope that CL (the OP) is able to get his issue resolved without having to reinvent the wheel at this point in time.

-P
    Monday, December 15, 2008 7:34 PM
  • Anyone for hire?

Unfortunately I'm not a coder and I don't have a clue how to create these scripts to make my site work.

I just launched a new design that is built in .php and is on a Linux server.

What would it cost to have someone fix my form scripts?
    Monday, December 15, 2008 7:51 PM
  • Hi,

There are a couple of ways to trouble shoot this. 

First, can you login directly to your server?   (file/open site)  If you cannot get in this way then something is corrupt and you will be able to show this to godaddy. 

If you can login this way, try recalculating the hyperlinks.  

If these don't work, try logging in and then publishing in reverse.  That is, log into server, then publish FROM remote TO local.  VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: the terms "remote" and "local" are very misleading.  "local" is whatever you are logged into.  So, if you are working on your computer, then that is local.  HOWEVER, if you have logged into the godaddy server then that is local.  The same is true with remote.  Remote is the place that you are NOT logged into--it could be your hard drive or the godaddy server.

Hope this helps.

Peter
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 12:08 AM