none
VS2017 with VSTS: files that shouldn't be on version control - are, and cause problems

Question

• I recently transitioned to VS2017 and moved my old SourceSafe 2005 repository to VSTS. The process was described in my other post. While my experience has mostly been smooth, there is one annoyance that I think should be easy enough to resolve, yet I haven't been able to find a good way to do it, and there isn't any mention to it anywhere that I've searched. Namely, there are some files (storage.ide, storage.ide-wal) that reside under the .vs subfolder of a project, that occasionally pop up as changed files under control but are locked by VS and, thus, cannot be checked in; so I have to exclude them and then when the solution is closed I can checked them in, although it seems that none of those files (or any under the .vs folder) should be under version control. I found some mentions of those files but they were all about Git and I use VSTS, so the recommendations could not be applied. Obviously, those temporary files do not show up in my solution explorer so there is no easy way to remove them from control. What is a good way to deal with that?

Kamen

Currently using Visual Studio 2013 U5, native C++ (Windows API) and C# (.Net, WPF), on Windows 7 64-bit; Mountain Time zone.

Thursday, December 07, 2017 12:38 AM

Answers

• Through Team Explorer.

Before you do anything, if the things you want to remove are important, then back them up.

The simplest way of doing this is to go to Team Explorer, open up Source Control Explorer, in source control explorer browse through until you find what you want to remove from source control, right click on it and select delete. Once you check this in it will delete the local copy too. But that is why you would have backed up the important things first.

For the .vs directory though, Visual Studio will regenerate it on solution load, so you could just get away with deleting it.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

• Marked as answer by Kamen Monday, December 11, 2017 3:24 PM
    Thursday, December 07, 2017 1:25 AM

All replies

• Through Team Explorer.

Before you do anything, if the things you want to remove are important, then back them up.

The simplest way of doing this is to go to Team Explorer, open up Source Control Explorer, in source control explorer browse through until you find what you want to remove from source control, right click on it and select delete. Once you check this in it will delete the local copy too. But that is why you would have backed up the important things first.

For the .vs directory though, Visual Studio will regenerate it on solution load, so you could just get away with deleting it.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

• Marked as answer by Kamen Monday, December 11, 2017 3:24 PM
    Thursday, December 07, 2017 1:25 AM
  • Through Team Explorer.

I had gotten to that point but it wasn't clear to me what I needed to do. Deleting those files through SCE involved some undoing of pending changes, deleting files, and checking in resulting sets. For now they seem gone. I'll report if they reappear. Thanks!

Kamen

Currently using Visual Studio 2013 U5, native C++ (Windows API) and C# (.Net, WPF), on Windows 7 64-bit; Mountain Time zone.

Thursday, December 07, 2017 1:51 AM
  • Seems to be working. I had a .vs folder under a couple of solutions within the VSTS workspace, but none of the others (which were converted from SourceSafe, too). Anyway, I removed it, tried rebuilding, and it seems to be working fine. at one point it tried to add them ("promote pending changes"), but not now.

There is, as well, a .vs folder under the workspace name, as well as a "BuildProcessTemplates" folder, in addition to the solutions folder (where all solutions are subfolders). There are no such folders under another workspace I have, which was directly started under VSTS. My question is whether I can also try removing those from VSTS.

Image of Source Control Explorer

I appreciate your help.

Kamen

• Edited by Kamen Thursday, December 07, 2017 4:48 AM
    Thursday, December 07, 2017 4:46 AM
  • I went ahead and deleted the "BuildProcessTemplates" folder and the top-level .vs folder, but now it is again asking me to start adding them up again:

Albeit, not in a very intrusive manner, I think I can live with it. I just wish I knew whether I was doing the right thing (and what actually I'm doing). I'll mark Darran's post above as answer shortly but I'm far from satisfied.

Kamen

Friday, December 08, 2017 2:05 AM
  • Hi Kamen,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

As far as I know, if you do not use the XAML build, then you can delete it. But it is better to keep it, it is band and used to XAML build. Please have a look at this doc: Migrate from XAML builds to new builds and now the XMAL build is a bit outdated and is not commonly used, so delete it or not per your decision.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, December 08, 2017 2:52 AM
  • Hi Kamen,

Thank you for your update.

If you think Darran’s reply is helpful for your issue in some places, please mark it as answer, then we can close this thread for you and that will also help other community members.

For more questions about VSTS, I recommend you redirect to this appropriate forum: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/vsts and create a new thread with tag ‘vsts’ to seek for a more professional support. Our forum is to discuss the VS IDE and sorry that we cannot provide a better support for your issues, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, December 08, 2017 3:00 AM
  • Hi Kamen,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

As far as I know, if you do not use the XAML build, then you can delete it. But it is better to keep it, it is band and used to XAML build. Please have a look at this doc: Migrate from XAML builds to new builds and now the XMAL build is a bit outdated and is not commonly used, so delete it or not per your decision.

Best regards,

Sara

Since I don't know what a "XAML build" is, I probably don't need it. I just hope it is not something that was used in the process of the transition to VSTS. If It helps, I'm (so far) the only developer in the team and when I build my solutions I just use the output (.exe and .dll) and/or build my own installers locally. I just don't want to break anything in my solutions/projects; the version-control part is mostly for history (so I can refer back to previous versions), for portability (in case I have to move to a different computer), and for future sharing.

Kamen

Currently using Visual Studio 2013 U5, native C#; (Windows API) and C# (.Net, WPF), on Windows 7 64-bit; Mountain Time zone.

• Edited by Kamen Friday, December 08, 2017 3:03 AM
    Friday, December 08, 2017 3:01 AM
  • Hi Kamen,

Thank you for your update.

If you think Darran’s reply is helpful for your issue in some places, please mark it as answer, then we can close this thread for you and that will also help other community members.

For more questions about VSTS, I recommend you redirect to this appropriate forum: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/vsts and create a new thread with tag ‘vsts’ to seek for a more professional support. Our forum is to discuss the VS IDE and sorry that we cannot provide a better support for your issues, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

I'd like to keep it open a little longer so that it could help me; i.e., maybe someone else who knows the answer will see it and respond. As for stackoverflow.com, I don't have an account there and I think it is a bit problematic in my case (don't want to get in details). It's a pity that a Microsoft product is not well served on MS forums.

Kamen

Friday, December 08, 2017 3:05 AM
  • Hi Kamen,

After I configure my workspace, there’s no .VS file under VSTS team project.

I suggest you to reconnection the VSTS project, check the result again. Please make sure the project’s Version control is “Team Foundation Version Control” and refer to following steps:

1. In vs2017, open Team Explorer, click Manage Connections -> Connect to a Project…. Open Connect to a Project dialog box, choose the created TFVC project of VSTS.
    2. After connection complete, please click configure your workspace under Solutions, get the project information from VSTS project.

In addition, as far as I know, we should need to migrate from VSS to TFS first and then using the OpsHub tool to move from TFS to VSTS.

Regards,

Wheeler

Friday, December 08, 2017 8:11 AM
  • Hi Kamen,

After I configure my workspace, there’s no .VS file under VSTS team project.

I suggest you to reconnection the VSTS project, check the result again. Please make sure the project’s Version control is “Team Foundation Version Control” and refer to following steps:

1. In vs2017, open Team Explorer, click Manage Connections -> Connect to a Project…. Open Connect to a Project dialog box, choose the created TFVC project of VSTS.
    2. After connection complete, please click configure your workspace under Solutions, get the project information from VSTS project.

In addition, as far as I know, we should need to migrate from VSS to TFS first and then using the OpsHub tool to move from TFS to VSTS.

Regards,

Wheeler

Hello, Wheeler,

Thanks for the response. I am not quite sure what you are suggesting since I have done that and more when I was migrating my projects, and when I had to fix the bindings, as described in my other thread. I am always connected to VSTS, and VS2017 occasionally loses that connection and I have to restore it periodically. That does not seem to have any effect on those temporary directories being added under version control.

The migration was already done; the question now is about the behavior of VS2017, mostly why it added and why it keeps trying to add to version control files and folders that don't seem to belong there. It is not the only problem - as I described in my other thread, there were all sorts of issues in the process. It is all probably due to the complexity of keeping some measure of backwards compatibility, so I can't really complain. The ultimate test would be to clean all local workspaces and configurations and settings, reinstall VS2017 and see if the solutions and projects are properly downloaded - with everything that is needed and - hopefully - with nothing that is not.

I will do a few more tests and will report back here shortly.

Kamen

Friday, December 08, 2017 6:52 PM
  • I was able to find a solution to the automatic addition issue: when VS keeps monitoring files and folders that it thinks should be version-controlled but are, in fact, nothing but temporary files/folders. Once you open the suggestion dialog, you can right-click on files and select from a host of options to ignore them (by name, folder, extension, etc.)

The only unresolved question is: what are really temporary and, thus, unnecessary files/folders? After some more searching, I found that - for example - the "BuildProcessTemplates" folder may contain some custom-build configurations. In my case, I'm sure I did not create that but who knows what all the migration/conversion utilities have created. This is the only mystery so far but I think it may be way too involved to get to the bottom of it, so I'll just leave it alone.

Kamen

Monday, December 11, 2017 3:24 PM
  • Hi Kamen,

Thank you for sharing your solution in here, that will help other community members.

If you have any other issues about the VS IDE, please feel free to let us know. More questions about VSTS, please redirect to this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/vsts and create a new thread with tag ‘vsts’ to get a better support.

Best regards,

Sara

16 hours 10 minutes ago