Start Menu Subfolder Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I created an application and with this a CAB setup project.  I added a sub folder to the start menu and then a shortcut inside this sub folder e.g. (start/aplication/executable).

The problem is that the sub folder gets created, but the actual shortcut gets moved to the Programs folder automatically.  Is there  a way to make this work or is this not supported on the Mobile Device.

Thank you,

Fernando.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 9:52 PM

Answers

• I tried that and many other ways with the special folders and always had the same result.  I finally decided to create the shortcut adding the whole structure for the device and that was the only thing that worked for me.

With special folders, being the Start Menu or the Programs Folder it would create the sub directory but actual short cut was always moved to the root of the Programs Folder.

Thank you for your reply.

• Marked as answer by JFercan Tuesday, April 5, 2011 10:56 PM
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 7:20 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Fernando,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN forum.

I tested a project that it put a shortcut in to start menu folder, and it works well. I add the shortcut in this way:

To move the shortcut to the Start menu or Programs folder

1. In the left pane of the File System Editor, right click File System on Target Machine, point to Add Special Folder, and click Start Menu Folder or Programs Folder.

1. Drag the shortcut from the Application Folder to the Start Menu Folder or Programs Folder.

From the document: Walkthrough: Packaging a Smart Device Solution for Deployment

I suggest you check if there is a shortcut in start/aplication/executable folder in the setup project.

If I misunderstood you, please describe your question in more detail.

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, March 31, 2011 6:25 AM
  • I tried that and many other ways with the special folders and always had the same result.  I finally decided to create the shortcut adding the whole structure for the device and that was the only thing that worked for me.

With special folders, being the Start Menu or the Programs Folder it would create the sub directory but actual short cut was always moved to the root of the Programs Folder.

Thank you for your reply.

• Marked as answer by JFercan Tuesday, April 5, 2011 10:56 PM
    Sunday, April 3, 2011 7:20 PM