none
Place group control options on different tabs RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to place different options of a group control on different tabs? I have a group control with many options and additional controls related to and displayed next to each option. For a clearer user interface, I want to create tabs and place different options on different tabs. 

If a group control cannot be spread across tabs, is there a way to get the same functionality--namely, users can select only one option from among all options across all tabs, and the selected option sets the value of one variable.

TIA,
    MikeS

Monday, July 23, 2018 12:04 AM

Answers

• Hello Mike,

Thanks for detail explanation, but as far as I know, it is not possible.

Not sure why you need do this. If you just need do a radio option on multiple pages, you could try to use option click event to single select to replace group control.

For instance,

'Option36 Option38 Option40 are three option in different tabs
    Private Sub Option36_Click()
    Me.Option38.Value = False
    Me.Option40.Value = False
    End Sub

Private Sub Option38_Click()
    Me.Option36.Value = False
    End Sub

Private Sub Page4_Click()
    End Sub

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by MDS_LV Monday, July 23, 2018 9:41 PM
    Monday, July 23, 2018 3:18 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Controls have a unique name on a form. So also Option groups. The options within an Option group refer to that specific Option group. That is because an Option group has just one value.

As you state, you want to use the Option group MyGroup twice on a form, and that is not possible. You can create two Option Groups, for example MyGroup1 and MyGroup2.

You probably want users to be able to select a particular option on each Page. I do that myself by creating one Option group in which all options are included. On another page I let them make other choices (which is related to the chosen option). These choices are then limited by what they have selected in the Option group.

If there are many options involved, it is better to use a combobox.

Hopefully you can do something with this.

Monday, July 23, 2018 10:14 AM

All replies

• Hello MDS_LV,

What do you mean different tabs? Do you mean the Tab Control?

If so, as far as I know, it do support show different control on different tabs. You could just change to another tab to set different control.

If not, please detail us what does the tabs mean.

Thanks for understanding,

Best Regards.

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 23, 2018 1:14 AM
  • Hello Terry,

Thanks for your request for more detail. Yes, I'm referring to a tab control. I have a tab control MyTab with two pages, pag1 and pag2. I have an option group control MyGroup with 2 radio button options, opt1 and opt2. I want to display MyGroup.opt1 only on MyTab.pag1, and MyGroup.opt2 only on MyTab.pag2. Is it possible?

This is a very simple example, just to illustrate my problem. In fact, my tab control has 6 pages and my option group has 15 options.

Thanks,
    Mike

• Marked as answer by MDS_LV Monday, July 23, 2018 9:40 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by MDS_LV Monday, July 23, 2018 9:41 PM
    Monday, July 23, 2018 1:45 AM
  • Hello Mike,

Thanks for detail explanation, but as far as I know, it is not possible.

Not sure why you need do this. If you just need do a radio option on multiple pages, you could try to use option click event to single select to replace group control.

For instance,

'Option36 Option38 Option40 are three option in different tabs
    Private Sub Option36_Click()
    End Sub

Private Sub Option38_Click()
    End Sub

Private Sub Page4_Click()
    End Sub

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by MDS_LV Monday, July 23, 2018 9:41 PM
    Monday, July 23, 2018 3:18 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Controls have a unique name on a form. So also Option groups. The options within an Option group refer to that specific Option group. That is because an Option group has just one value.

As you state, you want to use the Option group MyGroup twice on a form, and that is not possible. You can create two Option Groups, for example MyGroup1 and MyGroup2.

You probably want users to be able to select a particular option on each Page. I do that myself by creating one Option group in which all options are included. On another page I let them make other choices (which is related to the chosen option). These choices are then limited by what they have selected in the Option group.

If there are many options involved, it is better to use a combobox.

Hopefully you can do something with this.

Monday, July 23, 2018 10:14 AM
  • Thanks. That's a good way to approach it.
    Monday, July 23, 2018 9:41 PM
  • Thanks. That gives a good idea for an alternate way to design the interface I need.
    Monday, July 23, 2018 9:42 PM
  • Hi Mike,

You're welcom.

Monday, July 23, 2018 9:48 PM