none
Why are Infobox Events "not needed in V8"? RRS feed

• Question

• The Migration Guide states that infobox events have been deprecated as they are "Rarely used in V7 apps and not needed in V8."

I use pushpins with custom HTML infoboxes which contain various links. The infoboxes appear on pushpin hover and remain while the mouse is over the pin or the infobox. How can I retain this functionality in V8? Can these events be added back into V8?

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 11:12 AM

Answers

• As the migration documentation stated, these events were rarely used. The number of apps that used the mouse/click events is in the single digits (there are hundreds of thousands of apps using Bing maps). The number of apps that used the entitychanged event is higher, mainly due to developers tracking when an infobox was opened or closed. By even then this was in the low double digits.

These aren't really needed as it is very easy to achieve this using custom HTML content in the infobox. Most apps that used the entityChanged event used it to monitor if the infobox is visible or not, but many apps controlled this programmatically already and thus this event wasn't really needed.

That said, I'll bring this up in our next team meeting to see what effort is involved in adding this. If it isn't too much then we will consider adding it.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 5:22 PM
  • if your info box consists of html content, then you can use standard javascript events to achieve this.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 2:50 PM
  • Good news, this is now implemented in the experimental branch and will be in the main release branch in a couple of weeks. e infobox class now has 4 events you can use; click, infoboxChanged, mouseenter, and mouseleave.

Friday, August 26, 2016 5:03 PM

All replies

• As the migration documentation stated, these events were rarely used. The number of apps that used the mouse/click events is in the single digits (there are hundreds of thousands of apps using Bing maps). The number of apps that used the entitychanged event is higher, mainly due to developers tracking when an infobox was opened or closed. By even then this was in the low double digits.

These aren't really needed as it is very easy to achieve this using custom HTML content in the infobox. Most apps that used the entityChanged event used it to monitor if the infobox is visible or not, but many apps controlled this programmatically already and thus this event wasn't really needed.

That said, I'll bring this up in our next team meeting to see what effort is involved in adding this. If it isn't too much then we will consider adding it.

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 5:22 PM
  • Just my luck that I am one of the few using this feature.

I don't quite follow how using entityChanged will help. My infoboxes are visible on mouse hover over pushpin. There is a short delay before hiding the infobox when moving the cursor off the pin so the user can easily move the cursor over the infobox and it will then remain visible (thanks to the infobox events). Moving the cursor out of the infobox will then hide the infobox. The user does not need to click on anything (apart from links in the infobox) as this would make the process too clunky.

If this functionality could be retained it would be very helpful. Thanks.

Thursday, July 7, 2016 2:01 PM
  • I am another who is using this feature.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 1:10 PM
  • if your info box consists of html content, then you can use standard javascript events to achieve this.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 2:50 PM
  • Good news, this is now implemented in the experimental branch and will be in the main release branch in a couple of weeks. e infobox class now has 4 events you can use; click, infoboxChanged, mouseenter, and mouseleave.

Friday, August 26, 2016 5:03 PM