Dynamic data inside DotNetNuke RRS feed

• Question

• User-1566877889 posted

Hi

I was wondering if it is possible to use the dynamic data framework inside a DotNetNuke portal.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

I have manages to get DD loading inside a DNN module and load the first scaffold pages but the routing does not seem to work correctly

<o:p> </o:p>

If it is possible can you please give the correct procedure to do so.

<o:p> </o:p>

Regards,

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:03 PM

All replies

• User1641955678 posted

A while back, someone experimened with doing something like this, and described it here.  It's likely outdated, but may be worth a look.

David

Thursday, August 28, 2008 2:11 AM
  • User-1566877889 posted

Hi David

Many thanks for the reply , i tried you link , but as you suggested this is based on the old Dynamic data and is in c# which i can do little with.

I feel i am getting a little further i am able to get the metadata to populate the master table list see below from the dbml .

But all of the hyperlinks throw an error ;

Server Error in '/dnnVision' Application.

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /dnnVision/aspnet_Users/List.aspx

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3053; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3053

I guess this may be due to some routing configuration that is not correct how ever the same config in a standard DD site wirks fine;

routes.Add(New DynamicDataRoute("{table}/{action}.aspx") With { _
    .Constraints = New RouteValueDictionary(New With {.Action = "List|Details|Edit|Insert"}), _

.Model = model})

I have added the new SP1 structure to the DNN site, ie the DynamicData new file structure but iget the same errors on the hyperlinks.

Hope you can help,

Regards,

Richard C

<!-- [HttpException]: The file '/dnnVision/aspnet_Users/List.aspx' does not exist. at System.Web.UI.Util.CheckVirtualFileExists(VirtualPath virtualPath) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVirtualPathObjectFactory(VirtualPath virtualPath, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean noAssert) at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean noAssert) at System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandlerHelper(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath) at System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, String virtualPath, String path) at System.Web.HttpApplication.MaterializeHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) -->

<!-- End_Module_370 -->
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 9:55 AM
  • User1641955678 posted

FYI I was able to get the old DNN sample running with some minimal changes to account for some late API changes.  Of course, it's not a real DNN sample, but it demonstrates something conceptually similar.  It's hard to know what's happening with your app without more knowledge of what it is doing.

David

Friday, August 29, 2008 8:38 PM
  • User323304077 posted

Were you able to figure out how to resolve this?  I'm in a similar situation where I'm trying to add Dynamic Data to existing pages.  This is what I have in my global.asax...

<%@ Application Language="C#" %>
    <%@ Import Namespace="System.Web.DynamicData" %>
    <%@ Import Namespace="System.Web.Routing" %>

<script RunAt="server">
        static void RegisterRoutes(RouteCollection routes)
        {
            MetaModel model = new MetaModel();

//                    IMPORTANT: DATA MODEL REGISTRATION 
            // Uncomment this line to register LINQ to SQL classes or an ADO.NET Entity Data
            // model for ASP.NET Dynamic Data. Set ScaffoldAllTables = true only if you are sure 
            // that you want all tables in the data model to support a scaffold (i.e. templates) 
            // view. To control scaffolding for individual tables, create a partial class for 
            // the table and apply the [Scaffold(true)] attribute to the partial class.
            // Note: Make sure that you change "YourDataContextType" to the name of the data context
            // class in your application.
            model.RegisterContext(typeof(VibrantCRMDataContext), new ContextConfiguration() { ScaffoldAllTables = true });

// The following statement supports separate-page mode, where the List, Detail, Insert, and 
            // Update tasks are performed by using separate pages. To enable this mode, uncomment the following 
            // route definition, and comment out the route definitions in the combined-page mode section that follows.
            routes.Add(new DynamicDataRoute("{table}/{action}.aspx")
            {
                Constraints = new RouteValueDictionary(new { action = "List|Details|Edit|Insert" }),
                Model = model
            });
        }

void Application_Start(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            RegisterRoutes(RouteTable.Routes);
            Application.Add("recentRecords", new RecentRecordTable());
        }

void Session_Start(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            // Code that runs when a new session is started
            Session.Add("user", new User(User.Identity.Name));
        }
    </script>

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:45 AM
  • Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:46 PM
  • User323304077 posted

After hours of debugging, I figured out I was missing the necessary entry into the web.config for the URL routing (releated to IIS6 settings).

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 4:03 PM