Migration Needed! RRS feed

• Question

• I have an od MSDOS program (CompuPawn) that I no longer going to use!  I purchased a new program (Champion Pawn) that uses .net and SQL languages.  I need the old MSDOS database files (.idx and .ida) converted into the new SQL database.  I am willing to hire or freelance someone who can do this!  Thanks!!!!
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 8:36 PM

Answers

• Might be an ISAM database. If so, you can get an ISAM driver that can connect to SQL Server (e.g. Mertechdata's flex2sql) and move the data to SQL Server.

Physically moving the data is pretty tedious work but it's not terribly complex. The hard part is to ensure you move the original data to the right place in your new database. Even if the 2 applications have very similar or identical features, the way they store data is likely to be quite different. Strongly recommend you engage your new software provider (Champion pawn) to help out or better yet, have them perform the migration.

There are a bunch of people out there who know how to do data migration (e.g. pragmatic works, db best) but they are not likely to have subject matter expertise specific to your applications. That means you should still get Champion pawn involved even if you hire a 3rd party (or get the 3rd party to work with champion pawn folks directly).

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. - Aristotle
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, October 6, 2011 9:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:53 AM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 12:02 AM

All replies

• Really dont think its possible to convert these files.I have never heard something like this .idx and .ida.

Below migrations are possible within SQL Server

Oracle - SQL Server

Sybase - SQL Server

MySQL - SQL Server

MS Access to SQL Server.

SSMA is the tool which helps you for it http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ssma/

Thank you,

Anup | Forum Support| If you think my suggestion is useful, please rate it as helpful. If it has helped you to resolve the problem, please Mark it as Answer.
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:02 PM
  • Might be an ISAM database. If so, you can get an ISAM driver that can connect to SQL Server (e.g. Mertechdata's flex2sql) and move the data to SQL Server.

Physically moving the data is pretty tedious work but it's not terribly complex. The hard part is to ensure you move the original data to the right place in your new database. Even if the 2 applications have very similar or identical features, the way they store data is likely to be quite different. Strongly recommend you engage your new software provider (Champion pawn) to help out or better yet, have them perform the migration.

There are a bunch of people out there who know how to do data migration (e.g. pragmatic works, db best) but they are not likely to have subject matter expertise specific to your applications. That means you should still get Champion pawn involved even if you hire a 3rd party (or get the 3rd party to work with champion pawn folks directly).

No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness. - Aristotle
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, October 6, 2011 9:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Tuesday, October 11, 2011 6:53 AM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 12:02 AM
  • I am thinking of purchasing this software. I would love to talk to you about your experience, is there a way I can reach you?
    Friday, March 9, 2012 5:30 PM
  • I would think twice about purchasing this program. It looks good, they promise a lot, but their customer service is null, if not void. They will set you up, and then drop you when you call or email about issues. Especially when they say it is fixed, and when you call, or email again, they don't return your communication, in a timely manner, or if at all.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 3:38 PM
  • I don't recommend this software. They seem to be on the ball and professional until they have your money. Then when the problems arise, you cannot get a hold of anyone. No one answers the phone, returns messages, or responds to emails. We have had the software since March and still have problems that have yet to be resolved that were addressed in the first week.  Now we have our entire business tied up in software, without any support, and the daunting task of trying to transfer our entire customer database over to new software once our contract expires next year. I guess there is a reason why the software was the cheapest compared to the other big players in the pawn software game.  Nothing but a waste of time and money!!!
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 3:41 PM
  • You hit the nail on the head!!! Worst customer service I have ever dealt with. They rarely respond and when they do they claim it's fixed but it never is.  What really bothers me is that the software itself is actually pretty nice and user friendly. But without proper support the software is essentially useless for any pawnshop.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 3:44 PM