none
.net framework 3.5 sp1 versus 3.0 , 2.0 and 2.0 service pack 2 ? do i need ALL ? RRS feed

• Question

• i understand i "need" .netframework  because some programs THAT MAY run on my pc need it. (who knows what THOSE are?)   BUT  do i need all four .netframeworks and all of their fixes concurrently TOO ?  that is does 3.5 sp1 supercede all aspects of the other versions, and if so can i uninstall ALL previous versions ?
    thanx.
    (a more important question seems to be that if a newer version of anything is installed, it seems that it should be written in such a way as to remove stuff that the newer version has incorporated or improved or .... so that the whole is not composed of patches upon patches until the original garmet no longer exists.)

Thursday, July 9, 2009 4:25 PM

Answers

• .NET 3.0, 3.5 and 3.5SP1 are all built on top of .NET 2.0.  If you try to install any of these, the libraries for 2.0 will be automatically installed.  Thus, there's no reason to uninstall.  Just install the latest version.  The installer will figure it out.
    David Morton - http://blog.davemorton.net/ - @davidmmorton - ForumsBrowser, a WPF MSDN Forums Client
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Friday, July 17, 2009 3:40 AM
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Thank you for David's help.

Hi Crimendelsiglo,

I agree with David.

The .NET Framework is an integral Windows component that supports building and running the next generation of applications and XML Web services. The .NET Framework has two main components: the common language runtime (CLR and the .NET Framework class library. The common language runtime is the foundation of the .NET Framework. .NET Framework 3.5 uses CLR version 2.0 and so does .NET Framework 2.0 or 3.0, while .NET framework 1.1 uses v1.1.
    The Core parts are referred to speak as the 'Red Bits' and the rest as the 'Green Bits'.
    For more information, see: http://www.danielmoth.com/Blog/2007/06/net-framework-35.html

.NET Framework 3.5 includes .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and 3.0 SP1.
    .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 includes .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2.
    Thus, .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 cannot be removed because they are the prerequisite of .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

Thanks

(This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.

• Edited by YiChun Chen Monday, July 13, 2009 7:48 AM typo
    Monday, July 13, 2009 7:47 AM

All replies

• .NET 3.0, 3.5 and 3.5SP1 are all built on top of .NET 2.0.  If you try to install any of these, the libraries for 2.0 will be automatically installed.  Thus, there's no reason to uninstall.  Just install the latest version.  The installer will figure it out.
    David Morton - http://blog.davemorton.net/ - @davidmmorton - ForumsBrowser, a WPF MSDN Forums Client
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Thank you for David's help.

Hi Crimendelsiglo,

I agree with David.

The .NET Framework is an integral Windows component that supports building and running the next generation of applications and XML Web services. The .NET Framework has two main components: the common language runtime (CLR and the .NET Framework class library. The common language runtime is the foundation of the .NET Framework. .NET Framework 3.5 uses CLR version 2.0 and so does .NET Framework 2.0 or 3.0, while .NET framework 1.1 uses v1.1.
    The Core parts are referred to speak as the 'Red Bits' and the rest as the 'Green Bits'.
    For more information, see: http://www.danielmoth.com/Blog/2007/06/net-framework-35.html

.NET Framework 3.5 includes .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and 3.0 SP1.
    .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 includes .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2.
    Thus, .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 cannot be removed because they are the prerequisite of .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

Thanks

(This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.

• Edited by YiChun Chen Monday, July 13, 2009 7:48 AM typo
    Monday, July 13, 2009 7:47 AM