none
DOCX stops displaying RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all;

(I'm still getting pulled in for the really weird ones.)

Please take a look at Bug_3957.docx. For me Word shows the end of the document as:

There are 5 weird things going on here:

1. Following the displayed contest is 3 paragraphs that are not shown.
    2. Ctrl-End does nothing in the document. (Ctrl-Home does work.)
    3. I can't get the caret to show up on the bottom of page 21
    4. At the end it says page 21 of 22.
    5. All that grey space after the page (Word normally doesn't do that).

I've looked at the DOCX and it looks totally normal and straightforward.

What is wrong?

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Saturday, February 25, 2017 1:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Dave, this one was certainly strange, but I was able to pin it down to some grid columns that had negative width values, which aren't allowed according to the standard. This most likely caused an error in the layout and rendering engine. I don't know why Word isn't complaining about the invalid values when it opens the file though. 

I wasn't sure what the values were supposed to be, but simply removing the negative signs on those allows the entire file to display correctly, which is actually 30 pages, not 22. Here's the relevant sections from ISO/IEC 29500-1 and where I found the 'bad' values in the document.xml file.

17.4.16 gridCol (Grid Column Definition)
    The possible values for this attribute are defined by the ST_TwipsMeasure simple type (§22.9.2.14).

22.9.2.14 ST_TwipsMeasure (Measurement in Twentieths of a Point)
    This simple type specifies that its contents contain wither:
    - A positive whole number, whose contents consist of a measurement in twentieths of a point (equivalent to 1/1440th of an inch), or
    - A positive decimal number immediately following by a unit identifier.

document.xml lines 8890 - 8893
    <w:gridCol w:w="-52"/>
    <w:gridCol w:w="-24"/>
    <w:gridCol w:w="-25"/>
    <w:gridCol w:w="-48"/>

document.xml lines 11259 - 11262
    <w:gridCol w:w="-29"/>
    <w:gridCol w:w="-9"/>
    <w:gridCol w:w="-28"/>

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Monday, February 27, 2017 9:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave, Thank you for your question. I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Saturday, February 25, 2017 5:53 PM
  • Hi Dave, this one was certainly strange, but I was able to pin it down to some grid columns that had negative width values, which aren't allowed according to the standard. This most likely caused an error in the layout and rendering engine. I don't know why Word isn't complaining about the invalid values when it opens the file though. 

I wasn't sure what the values were supposed to be, but simply removing the negative signs on those allows the entire file to display correctly, which is actually 30 pages, not 22. Here's the relevant sections from ISO/IEC 29500-1 and where I found the 'bad' values in the document.xml file.

17.4.16 gridCol (Grid Column Definition)
    The possible values for this attribute are defined by the ST_TwipsMeasure simple type (§22.9.2.14).

22.9.2.14 ST_TwipsMeasure (Measurement in Twentieths of a Point)
    This simple type specifies that its contents contain wither:
    - A positive whole number, whose contents consist of a measurement in twentieths of a point (equivalent to 1/1440th of an inch), or
    - A positive decimal number immediately following by a unit identifier.

document.xml lines 8890 - 8893
    <w:gridCol w:w="-52"/>
    <w:gridCol w:w="-24"/>
    <w:gridCol w:w="-25"/>
    <w:gridCol w:w="-48"/>

document.xml lines 11259 - 11262
    <w:gridCol w:w="-29"/>
    <w:gridCol w:w="-28"/>

Monday, February 27, 2017 9:42 PM
  • That was it - thank you.

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Monday, February 27, 2017 11:54 PM