Start screen not displaying any App icons, just a green screen, unless I toggle the Windows key

Question

• All I get is the green start screen - no app icons are visible, unless I quickly press the Windows key a few times, and then I briefly see the Apps.  I have ensured that my laptop and the external display that is also plugged in is running a resolution greater than 1024 x 768, which they both are.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• I had this same problem but with a white screen.  I'm not sure how I fixed it, I had two profiles on Windows 8 and was switching between them.  Both are my live accounts, so when I went back to the other the screen was green and I could see the apps.  Then when I logged back in the other account it was visible again.
    • Edited by Bewoulf23 Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:17 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:17 PM
  • The start screen functions similar to Windows Phone in that all items can be pinned and unpinned. Press Win key + F and select the App category, right click the apps and select Pin. If no apps are listed then it could be the ISO package does not contain the sample apps.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:22 PM
  • here is the workaround:

from the green screen, mash the keyboard to get search up, then press the windows key - this then displays the start page correctly

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:22 PM
  • Hey Durnster,

Try using Windows Update to check for the latest updates. It sounds like update KB 2616150 may resolve the problem you are experiencing without the need for the workaround listed above. You can use Windows Update to check for updates by:

• Press the Windows key to enter the Start screen
    • Type Windows Update
    • Click Settings in the column on the right
    • Click Check for updates
    • Click Check for updates in the left column (in the new window that opens from the previous step)

For more information on KB 2616150:
    An update is available for two issues that occur when you log on to a computer that is running Windows Developer Preview

Hope that helps, look forward to hearing back from you.

Steven
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:54 PM
  • Hi Steven,

I tried to update this KB2616150, It installs...but after I restart the pc...it shows the status "failed". I get the "error code 80242016".

Could you help on this issue? Thanks

Sincerely,

Chandra

Monday, October 17, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Hey Chandra,

Error 80242016 could be caused by an interruption to your computer Internet connection while the update was downloading. Try installing the update again to see if the same error occurs. If your computer is connecting to your network wirelessly, you may want to try connecting the computer directly to the router or modem using a LAN cable to see if that helps.

If that doesn't help, try using the Windows Update troubleshooter by following these steps:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Type Troubleshooting
    • Click Setting in the left column
    • Click Troubleshooting 
    • Under System and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Update

Then follow the instructions that will be provided by the Windows Update troubleshooter.

Steven
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 12:55 AM
  • Hi Steven,

Thanks for reply,

Here is what I did.

1. Connected my PC using network cable.

2. Run "Fix problems with windows update"....It said "no errors"

3. Checked  for new updates..."It downloaded and installed some updates".

4. Restarted the PC

5. When I open the update history...it's status is "failed". which resulted green screen.

6. Then I opened "installed updates", uninstalled all the failure one, restarted it, and installed again followed up restart.

7. Now the update history shows the status "successful" But still GREEN SCREEN APPEARS....:(

What to do now? Thanks Steven

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Hey Chandra,

You may want to try creating a new user account to see if the problem is isolated to the account you are currently using. You can do this by:

• Enter the Start screen
    • Click Control Panel
    • Click Users in the left column
    • Click Add a user

If you would like to add a Windows Live account, enter the email address in the field provided. If you want to create a local account, click More about logon options to have the option of creating a Local account.

Once the new account is created, log out of your current user account and log into the new account to test if the same problem occurs.

Steven
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:24 AM
  • Hi Steven,

Thanks for your reply. This answer you recommended very earlier ago and it did not help to solve the problem though.

Whether it is windows live ID, local account (both admin&Standard), log out and logon, none helped.

It seems that MS don't have solution right now....hope you guys will figure it out in future.

Thanks n good luck.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:18 PM
  • Hey Chandra,

Thank you for posting your feedback, we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files.  If you haven't already, can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here

Steven
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 1:08 AM