Using External Providers to login RRS feed

• Question

• User1856468055 posted

Hi 

I am using external logins to login to my website. Logins like facebok, twitter, google etc.

In all the forums which I have read it tells you to create an app in the developers site of these sites with your account which gives you the key and ids. These ids are then passed in the code for authentication.

Now my question is with this key & id generated in the developers website are those from your own account which only I can use while logging on to the site.

Since I am making a public website which others can also login, how and what do I need to do in this case. Where can get a generic keys and ids which can be used by anyone.

Regards

Friday, October 10, 2014 1:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• User71929859 posted

In all the forums which I have read it tells you to create an app in the developers site of these sites with your account which gives you the key and ids. These ids are then passed in the code for authentication.

Now my question is with this key & id generated in the developers website are those from your own account which only I can use while logging on to the site.

Those IDs are keys for the apps you created in Facebook, Twitter etc so you can integrate those apps with your asp.net application. Those IDs are being used by your application to create the authentcation mechanism. It does not use those IDs to authenticate yourself. Read more

http://www.asp.net/mvc/tutorials/mvc-5/create-an-aspnet-mvc-5-app-with-facebook-and-google-oauth2-and-openid-sign-on

Sunday, October 12, 2014 4:05 AM
  • User1856468055 posted

Not sure if I was clear in asking the question above.

If you see the example above in your link, it asks you to go to the developers website to create your new project to get your key, ids etc. Now still I have to login to my google, facebook etc account to get those ids. Now if I do so and generate those ids and use them in my application, the ids generated are for my account only when I run the application.

If I try to login using a diff account it does not work

Monday, October 13, 2014 12:35 AM
  • User71929859 posted

Now if I do so and generate those ids and use them in my application, the ids generated are for my account only when I run the application.

No. Those IDs are common for all the users throughout the application. I understand that you created those apps using your account. But that doesn't matter. 

If I try to login using a diff account it does not work

What's happening? Any error? If you are using the same browser, then you have to log out first before login in to you application using those credentials. For an example, if you use Facebook credentials, then you have to logout from the facebook first before you can use another account to login into your application.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, October 13, 2014 12:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, October 13, 2014 10:22 AM