VS 2019 Update for 16.6.2 fails RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a solution for the update failure?
    Wednesday, June 10, 2020 9:35 PM

All replies

• Hi DA924x,

Thanks for posting here.

This doc Troubleshoot Visual Studio installation and upgrade issues lists some suggestions/solutions for solving upgrade issues. I abstract some of them which I consider are useful for you.

#1. Try to reinstall Visual Studio Installer.

>> Close VS Installer.

>> Delete the VS Installer directory. Typically, the directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer.

>> Run the VS Installer bootstrapper. You might find the bootstrapper in your  Downloads folder with a file name that follows a vs_[Visual Studio edition]_*.exe pattern. If you don’t find that application, you can download the bootstrapper by going to the Visual Studio downloads page and clicking Download for your edition of Visual Studio. Then run the executable to reset your installation metadata.

>> Try to update VS again or repair VS.

#2. As a last resort, you can remove VS by running InstallCleanup.exe.

>> Follow the instructions in Remove VS.

>> Rerun the bootstrapper that’s described in Step 3 – Delete the Visual Studio Installer directory to fix upgrade problems.

>> Try to install or update VS again.

Actually, VS doesn’t support rollback to a previous version, you can get the previous versions’ download links from here, but it’s for Enterprise and Professional editions(not for Community edition), and requires a reinstall.

Sometimes, repair VS fix the upgrade issues. So I suggest you try this, you can find and launch the VS Installer from start menu or C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\vs_installershell.exe, then find VS 2019 > More > Repair.

If this issue still persist, could you share me with vs log files to check further? Please download and run this collect.exe tool, go to %TEMP% folder and find the vslog.zip file, upload it to https://onedrive.live.com/ and share me with the link.

BTW, I also recommend you report this issue to VS Product Team from Help > Send Feedback > Report a problem...

Feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 11, 2020 2:50 AM
  • Thanks, I'll take a look at the info. I'll let you know what works.
    Friday, June 12, 2020 9:09 PM
  • It always fails for low disk space for me. I suggest frreeing up 6-7 GB of free space on C: drive.
    Monday, June 15, 2020 11:37 AM