none
Users getting Access Denied site after applying new theme RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i have a big issue.  the designers had created a custom theme master page which would be used for the parent site.  the idea was to use the theme inherit functionality so i activated SP Server publishing and it automatically inherits from parent site.  i can see the new theme but now i have every user complaining that they are getting Access Denied error on the pages they normally visit.  i took one test user who is part of sharepoint group which has read access and added him to site collection administrator.  he was able to log in successfully.  additonally this user has full control permission on one of the subsite which inherits the theme from parent site.  if i remove this user from site collection administrators, he is unable to log in to neither parent nor subsite.  Any ideas? 

Thanks for your help.

kashif

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 12:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• There is some element on the MasterPage that should be security trimmed but is not and its causing the access denied message.  Are any scripts or images being called from a document library?  If so, the library would need to have All Authenticated users in the Read group.  Go back through the MasterPage and check all the customizations.

Brandon Atkinson
    Blog: http://brandonatkinson.blogspot.com

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 12:51 PM
  • Check if the masterpages,images used in css are published.

-Kranthi

• Marked as answer by Kashif Pervaiz Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:34 AM
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 5:24 PM
  • Thanks Brandon for your reply.  It certainly gave me a correct direction to follow when making these kind of changes in SP.  Previously all files were placed in a physical directory but now have been moved to Site Assets.  One thing though, when inheriting subsite from parent, it doesn't copy over the assets so I have to use absolute address (copied shortcut of Site Assets folder) rather than relative path.

Thanks Kranthi, I didn't realize that master pages and page layouts were in pending state and waiting to be approved (Site Actions -> Site Settings -> Galleries -> Master pages and page layout; is there a way to do this in SP Designer?). 

Regards,

kashif

Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:43 AM
  • You Check In/Out,Publish from SP Designer but cant approve. For approval you have to go to the site.

-Kranthi

Thursday, September 6, 2012 8:04 AM