none
how to setup an online survey with answers sent back to a one central location RRS feed

• Question

• currently using the basic version ie
    Microsoft Expression Studio 4 Web Professional

I would like to do the following:
    setup a website survey
    answers to be submitted
    answers to be captured preferably in one central location

how can the answers be captures? eg
    emailed to an email address - how
    into an excel spreadsheet? can the excel spreadsheet be appended to - so I can later work with the data? or will each survey response be a seperate excel spreadsheet?
    database  - do i have to create a database?

and how can I do this?

if I need to purchase the full version ie Expression Studio 4 Web Ultimate pls let me

many thanks

dd

Monday, September 3, 2012 5:18 AM

All replies

• You will need to learn a database or other data store (not a spreadsheet, but possibly an XML file), and a scripting language: asp.net or PHP, typically.  That is not something that can be taught in a forum, and the details are not Expression Web questions.  What you are asking is not something EW does for you: you may use EW as a tool for it, but EW would be just a tool, and you would need the plans and need to know what you were constructing.  You have a large learning curve ahead of you, and the first step you need to take is to decide on a scripting language so you can find the appropriate resources to learn it.

...Or, far more quickly, use a third-party service to create and manage your survey.  SurveyMonkey, etc.  Google "online survey creator".

Monday, September 3, 2012 5:55 AM
  • Thank you KathyW2

Im a developer & was wanting to setup an online survey inhouse using Microsoft Office products.

I was doing some tinkering yesterday; and looked at InfoForms and importing the results data into a Microsoft Access db.  However I need to look at the impact of  multiple users hitting the database.

Ill look into your suggestions.

...which ever path I adopt looks like theres some work involved :)

thanks again KathyW2

dd

Monday, September 3, 2012 10:29 PM
  • "...using Microsoft Office products?" InfoForms? Are you talking about InfoPath? Is this an internal app on your corporate network? If so, maybe you should be thinking in terms of SharePoint Designer instead of Expression Web.

I frankly don't know what the possibility or feasibility is of making SharePoint apps public-facing, but if it's on your internal network, it shouldn't be a problem. If not, Office programs make truly execrable Web development tools, so I would ditch that idea post haste.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 1:26 AM
  • "wanting to setup an online survey inhouse using Microsoft Office products"

Expression Web, the topic of this forum, isn't an office product.   It's designed for normal (not SharePoint) websites.  Since you mentioned InfoPath (I assume that's what you meant), I think you are talking SharePoint, and the tool for that is SharePoint Designer, as Scott said.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 2:34 AM