none
Is Outlook Add-In (project template Outlook 2010) works with Outlook 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I have VS2010 and wrote an Outlook add-in using Outlook 2010 template. It works as designed in Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013. Now the customer wants this add-in should support Outlook 2007 but when I try to deploy to Outlook 2007 it seems to install OK but doesn't run on start-up and I can't see it when I look in the Trust Center / Add-ins.

What am I missing here?
    What I need to do to support 2007/2010/2013 as a single installer using VS2010 and Outlook 2010 template project?

Thanks

Amarjeet Verma

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:19 PM

Answers

• That's right Eugene!

I drilled it down and found that installer setup registry property is targeted to Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013 only and that's reason installer was able to install but regitry didn't get updated properly.

What I did -

Add-In setup project -> right click -> view -> Registry
    Check for every registry key - if registry setting property has any condition.
    if yes please remove the condition and then build and install.
    Note: make sure you have installed PIA (Primary Interop Assembly) for Outlook 2007

Eugene thanks for your quick response.

Amarjeet Verma

• Marked as answer by Amarjeet Verma Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:53 AM
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:52 AM

All replies

• Hello Amarjeet,

>  I can't see it when I look in the Trust Center / Add-ins

You need to check the registry keys. See Registry Entries for Application-Level Add-Ins .

Please take a look at the Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office article in MSDN. It states the following:

To create a solution that can run in both Microsoft Office 2010 and the 2007 Microsoft Office system, the project template you use depends on the target framework of the solution:

• If you target the .NET Framework 4, you can use project templates for either version of Office to create solutions that run in either version of Office on end user computers. However, the solution can only use features and APIs that are available in both versions of Office.

• If you target the .NET Framework 3.5, you can use a project template for the 2007 Microsoft Office system to create a solution that also runs in Microsoft Office 2010. The solution can only use features and APIs that are available in both versions of Office. When you target the .NET Framework 3.5, solutions you create by using Microsoft Office 2010 project templates can only run on end user computers that have Microsoft Office 2010 installed.

The solution will run without errors in the 2007 Microsoft Office system only if it does not use features that are new in Microsoft Office 2010. 

Note, you can use the late binding technology (see Type.InvokeMember) to access new property and methods (of course, if the add-in is run in Office 2010).

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:37 PM
  • Hi Eugene,

Application targets .NET Framework 4.0 and is working absolutely fine with Outlook 2010 but in case of Outlook 2007 system it installs without any error but doesn't run on start-up and I can't see it when I look in the Trust Center / Add-ins.

Amarjeet Verma

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 12:51 PM
  • Hi Amarjeet,

Please make sure that you have the target framework version of your add-in installed on the end user PCs.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:50 PM
  • Yes.

In fact setup.exe will check this as a prerequisite software and install if not found in end user's PC.

Amarjeet Verma

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:03 PM
  • Hello Amarjeet,

Did you have a chance to look at the windows registry records? Was your add-in registered properly?

Read more about the required keys in the Registry Entries for Application-Level Add-Ins article.

• Unmarked as answer by Amarjeet Verma Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:56 AM
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:14 PM
  • That's right Eugene!

I drilled it down and found that installer setup registry property is targeted to Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013 only and that's reason installer was able to install but regitry didn't get updated properly.

What I did -

Add-In setup project -> right click -> view -> Registry
    Check for every registry key - if registry setting property has any condition.
    if yes please remove the condition and then build and install.
    Note: make sure you have installed PIA (Primary Interop Assembly) for Outlook 2007

Eugene thanks for your quick response.

Amarjeet Verma

Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:52 AM