naming table RRS feed

• Question

• Hi experts,

I saw these many tables… with this naming:

Is there any valid reason someone could have it like this and not all together in let’s say one table?

Friday, March 2, 2018 2:52 PM

Answers

• The only reason to create tables that way is if you never query across multiple days. 

That is very poor design.  There are other ways to handle whatever they are trying to accomplish.

Friday, March 2, 2018 3:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Almost certainly not. But as my tag will say, without requirements that they were working off of, it is impossible to say.  

If this is not of some staging database, where some automated tool is loading data, I can't think of a reason to do this with so many of these individual tables personally that is for any read activity (unless, as another poster says, you only query one day at a time, but that seems unlikely)

Louis

Without good requirements, my advice is only guesses. Please don't hold it against me if my answer answers my interpretation of your questions.

Saturday, March 3, 2018 1:41 AM

All replies

• Well, it's the imho the easiest way to implement data partitioning. It also solves some locking issues by allowing the "safe" use of NOLOCK.
    Friday, March 2, 2018 3:12 PM
    Answerer
  • The only reason to create tables that way is if you never query across multiple days. 

That is very poor design.  There are other ways to handle whatever they are trying to accomplish.

Friday, March 2, 2018 3:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Almost certainly not. But as my tag will say, without requirements that they were working off of, it is impossible to say.  

If this is not of some staging database, where some automated tool is loading data, I can't think of a reason to do this with so many of these individual tables personally that is for any read activity (unless, as another poster says, you only query one day at a time, but that seems unlikely)

Louis

Without good requirements, my advice is only guesses. Please don't hold it against me if my answer answers my interpretation of your questions.

Saturday, March 3, 2018 1:41 AM