UIElement.Projection and PlaneProjection RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy,

Any plans to add this property to UIElement in the WinRT?

Sunday, September 25, 2011 1:00 AM

Answers

All replies

• @AntAnt - thanks for the question.  As you note these are not available in the developer preview and this is an area we're exploring.  Can you provide your scenario usage for these so we can add this to our feedback?
    Tim Heuer | Program Manager, XAML | http://timheuer.com/blog | @timheuer
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 2:33 AM
  • Mainly for "2.5D" types of effects.  Flipping over a UIElement (e.g. Windows Phone Live Tiles and Zune Now Playing).  Providing a "tilt" effect to a UIElement while pressing/clicking on it (e.g. Windows Phone tiles & buttons). 

Not having it wouldn't be a show-stopper.  But there's a certain level of detail/polish that I'd be giving up.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:24 AM
  • I'd love to see this too.  It makes for a quick easy way to do some 3D-ish effects.
    actiprosoftware.com - Professional WPF, Silverlight, and WinForms UI controls and components
    Monday, September 26, 2011 2:52 PM
  • I'd certainly like the ability to do these sorts of effects, but the Projection property wouldn't be the only way. I think I'd actually prefer to be able to make combined use of XAML and D3D. In an ideal world, I'd be able to define visual trees that render into a D3D surface (which looks like it might be possible today, but I haven't tried it yet), and then be able to apply effects such as 3D mappings (like Silverlight's Projection, but also the more advanced stuff that D3D enables), and also pixel shader effects, which also appear to have gone AWOL in WinRT flavour of XAML.

And then I want to be able to bring what D3D has rendered back into my XAML world - a sort of Direct3DBrush, if you like.

And I want it to be possible for UI that has been monkeyed with in this way to respond to input as normal.

I understand that this is distinctly non-trivial. (I also realise that depending on what you do to the UI as you feed it through D3D, there may not even be any sane way to map input. However, if you stretch your mind back to that old WPF thing, it has long been able to handle input on 3D projections, and with more complex models than Silverlight-style Projection can handle. So although this sort of thing is definitely tricky, it's not so far from something we've had for years in WPF.)

The reason I'm putting this in terms of the ability to pipe stuff in and out of D3D is that it seems like a more open-ended solution than what people are asking for in this thread. The actual features I'm missing are pixel shader effects and projections, but D3D integration could solve those problems while being a more general solution than reintroducing the Projection and Effects properties.

Monday, September 26, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Full 3D transforms/layout would certainly be nice.  But for most scenarios, simple plane projections would work for me.  I did like the control that WPF gave us with their 3D UI elements (though it did seem a bit convoluted).

And composition with D3D surfaces/textures would be excellent too!!  As long as they could smoothly sync the render operations between the two.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:41 PM
  • @Tim Heuer – Thanks for considering our feedback.

The UIElement.Projection and UIElement.Effect properties in Silverlight are essential to the 3D visualizations presented here:

http://isvis.com/p7 http://isvis.com/pt http://isvis.com/ps

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:37 PM
  • I have come across this blog which helps in getting a Tilt effect to work in WPF 4.0. This does seem if it can work although I'm having some issues with it. Having these two Properties would certainly ease the pain in getting this done on WPF.

http://mareinsula.wordpress.com/2011/08/04/wpf-tilt-effect-behavior/

Having to use full-on 3D to achieve this at the moment makes this a daunting task and a fair bit more complex than it can be.

My 2c

Monday, October 10, 2011 12:32 PM
  • I realise it's late in the day to be commenting on this, but here goes:

I do realise that purists might argue that 2.5D effects are not "authentically digital", but after all, *all* user interfaces are abstractions put in place to translate between the digital world and the world of human perception. So I hope there's room for pragmatism.

In Silverlight and on other platforms such as iOS the concept of screen elements having a "reverse side" on which additional content can be displayed is very helpful - and for that matter, Windows Phone uses it natively to good effect with secondary tiles.

I was very disappointed that PlaneProjection wasn't added to WPF in 4.5, but obviously that's one we'll have to give up on - but it would be really, really, pretty-please-can-we-have-it nice to have it in XAML for WinRT.

Monday, January 30, 2012 10:28 PM