Test Environment Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• (I'm not actually sure this the right forum, but thought I'd start here.  Mods, feel free to move this wherever.)

Where I work, we currently have something that resembles a test/development "environment" (we have a dev server where our working directories are, and it theoretically has a test database for our main application).  As part of some upgrades we are doing, I am wanting to change this so we do local development (keep our working directories on our PC's instead of on the network, which is terribly slow and requires that we run our VisualStudio through Citrix).

Anyway, my question is, in a distributed environment (12 sites, each with their own database server), what is the best way to set up a test/dev environment?  Our WAN can't really handle the traffic, so if we put a test database on each production server (which is my initial suggestion to my perceived problem), I need to be able to convince my boss that we will be able to easily modify the databases to keep the schemas synced.  Additionally, by moving our working folders locally, I need to convince him that there will not be any untoward consequences (I happen to know that it can be done, since this is the first job I've had that was set up in this manner).

So, any personal advice you guys have, or links you can give me would be greatly appreciated.  If you need more information, let me know.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:21 AM

Answers

All replies

• Anyone? Bueller.... Bueller...
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 1:14 AM
  • Hi dgjohnson,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

Actually this forum is to discuss the Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

Just to make this issue clearly, are you using the VSTS-testing tool? What kind of app do you want to test?  Which kind of test are you creating, web test or unit test or others?

I’m not very sure which kind of test tool you are using, but like this MSDN document, we could use the VS IDE to test different apps, for example, the unit test for class methods, the web test for web app performance, or the coded UI test or the load test. If we want to test an app locally, we could just use the VS, if we want to run test remotely, we could install Test Controller and Test Agent, we also could run test with TFS-build, and we could also use the MTM here.

So my suggestion is that if you want to configure a test Environment, you would make sure that what real test tool you want to use, and then get more better response from the specific test tool support forum.

If I have misunderstood anything, please make free feel to let me know.

Have a nice day,

Jack Zhai[MSFT]
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:14 AM
  • Jack, thank you for the response.

My question is not in reference to any test tool, as we do not use any.  At the moment, we do not have a way to publish a test executable and tell a user to run it and test some change.  My question is just a general one, looking for advice on dev and test locations.  Given the situation, I happen to think that each of our sites should have a test database, and each developer should maintain his own workspace on his own PC, as opposed to having one central test database and keeping our workspaces on a network share.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 2:24 PM
  • Hi dgjohnson,

Sorry for no help to you.

Since it is not the VS General/VS test tool issue. I am moving your question to the Off-topic forum, to help you find the correct forum for this issue, my suggestion is you could post this issue to that moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai[MSFT]
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, September 20, 2013 5:34 AM
  • What database are you using? For SQL Server I'd ask them here.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?category=sqlserver

For Access over here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/access?tab=QnA&status=all&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&tm=1379803765484

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=accessdev

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Monday, September 23, 2013 2:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by dgjohnson Monday, September 23, 2013 3:01 PM
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 10:50 PM
  • Thanks, Jack and Dave.
    Monday, September 23, 2013 3:02 PM
  • You're welcome.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:41 AM