none
Manually creating table of contents locations in a Word 2007/2010 PDF document RRS feed

• Question

• I reckon this is pretty obscure but I wonder if it is possible to manually create locations in a PDF document that match the links Word 2007 (and assume 2010) uses in a file saved as PDF with a table of contents that uses hyperlinks.

Save a Word document with a table of contents that uses hyperlinks as PDF (using Word's own PDF producer) and open in a PDF application and you can click the table of contents to go to that page in the PDF (just like in the original Word document).

But how could one manually create the anchors/destinations that Word uses when saving as PDF? If I examine the PDF file, Word is not creating bookmarks or named locations in the PDF file so I am not sure what sort of internal links it is using for the PDF table of contents to function as links.

I want to replace some pages in the PDF file that Word creates but would still like the table of contents links to work and go to the destination (I would be using iText to add the anchor/bookmark/field that Word creates, if this is possible).

Thanks.

Monday, April 16, 2012 8:39 PM

Answers

• Manual bookmarks added to the text will be hyperlinked by default after you save as PDF, if that helps.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Monday, April 23, 2012 6:59 AM
    Monday, April 16, 2012 11:04 PM