MessageInterceptor sometimes does not get fired RRS feed

• Question

• Probably some kind of WM hickup:

I register my program using MessageInterceptor.EnableApplicationLauncher().

Most times, this works like expected.

But sometimes, the system does not load the MessageInterceptor. In these cases, the MessageInterceptor stops working, and the only way getting it back to work is to reboot the device.

For me this seems kind like a bug in windows mobile. Or is there anything I can do about these cases where the MessageInterceptor stops working?

Kind regards,
    Sam
    Friday, January 15, 2010 11:23 AM

All replies

• One customer now encountered a device, where the MessageInterceptor is installed. I checked HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Rules, and everything is fine, the app is listed there correctly.

Still, the app is not executed when a sms is received.

The device in this case is a HTC HD2. A Softreset did not help.

What can be done about this? How can we debug or resolve this bug??

Kind regards,
    Sam

Monday, January 18, 2010 9:08 AM
  •  
    Similar quesitons have been asked before but they have not been solved. The person who can assist you on this issue should be familiar with the implementation details of the MessageInterceptor. Still I don't think it would be easy considering that it only happens occasionally and it could be hard to reproduce the issue. That's why I suggest that you go for Microsoft Technical Support http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsmobile/bb510377.aspx.

Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 9:55 AM
  •  
    Similar quesitons have been asked before but they have not been solved. The person who can assist you on this issue should be familiar with the implementation details of the MessageInterceptor. Still I don't think it would be easy considering that it only happens occasionally and it could be hard to reproduce the issue. That's why I suggest that you go for Microsoft Technical Support http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsmobile/bb510377.aspx.

Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community.

We have one customer where the MessageInterceptor never is fired.
    Problem is, we don't have the device in-house, so I can't do all kinds of testing on it.

I just wondered, if there is anything that can disable or break the MessageInterceptor in general, since on all other devices it works perfectly. Well, most of the times, that is :)
    Monday, January 18, 2010 10:06 AM
  • Ok, now I got four customers where MessageInterceptor never is called.

All four own a HTC HD2. Is this a known problem with this device?
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 9:50 AM
  • Seems I'm not the only one who noticed this bug on the HTC HD2:

http://blog.enfinity.sk/vyvoj-softveru/problem-htc-hd2-s-messageinterceptor/

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:14 AM
  • Obviously the MessageInterceptor has been deactivated in favour of HTC Sense UI. This seems to concern HTC HD mini and HTC HD2.

As to my understanding, the MessageInterceptor is part of the Windows Mobile operating system and must be present and useable. Our software relies on the MessageInterceptor and cannot be used without it. I think Microsoft should put some pressure on HTC to correctly adapt the Windows Mobile operating system.

Documentation for MessageInterceptor ...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb932385.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.windowsmobile.pocketoutlook.messageinterception.messageinterceptor.aspx

... does not give any hint that this mechanism can be used only on certain devices.

Monday, May 10, 2010 10:28 AM
  • I encounter the same problem with MessageInterceptor on HTC HD2. The event is never fired.

Has anyone come to an answer as to why this happens on the HT2? Can you suggest another Windows Mobile (not necessarily HTC) device that allows the event to be fired?

Thanks,

Cristi

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:01 PM
  • I don't have a solution for you but just a suggestion. Can you use native code to implement SMS interception? To know more about how to do it, look at MapiRule project in the SDK samples folder.

- Onkar

http://www.42gears.com
    [SureLock Studio: Quick and Easy way to lockdown Windows Mobile devices]
    Saturday, October 23, 2010 3:42 PM
  • I have experienced the same issue with HTC HD2 SMS messageinterceptor.  It just never get fired within an application.  Have anyone found out why this is an issue?  Kindly inform of possible solutions...James.

james
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 3:42 PM
  • Sam...I have experience the same SMS issue with HTC HD2 device.  Have you found any solution to this problem. Kindly feedback...James
    james
    Friday, December 10, 2010 1:06 AM
  • Cristi...I have experience the same SMS issue with HTC HD2 device.  Have you found any solution to this problem. Kindly feedback...James

james
    Friday, December 10, 2010 1:06 AM
  • I know this is a very old post but just answering to the people who are still facing the issue.

The MEssageInterceptor's class  MessageReceived does not get fired on some of the  HTC windows mobile devices since it is overriden by HTC's own implementation for intercepting incoming SMS.
    To make the default MessageInterceptor to work insted of HTC's message own implemented message interceptor, do the below steps

1. Install Reg edit PHM software on the device (Any reg edit software will do)
    2. Open the reg edit application  and open the key HKLM\services\MSG and rename "MessagingService.dll" to any thing else.
    3. Then goto HKLM\system\inbox\externalaccounts and rename SMS to something else.
    4. After this you will have to restart, to get it running.

After this the HTC's message interceptor will be disabled and system's default MessageInterceptor will work. This wont cause any side effects for receiving SMS on phone or on the developed application.

This might be applicable on all HTC windows mobile.

Friday, January 27, 2012 1:10 PM