none
Can we have our own custom bing map inside our asp.net web application RRS feed

• Question

• I want to use map functionalities inside our asp.net mvc web application, which can allow us to do these:-
    1. The map should be empty, it should not show any places. and it should only show streets and other address components.

2. we need to populate this map with our own places. and if we can do this through API.

3. the ability to add a category for each place. such as car-maintenance, food, cloths, sweets, etc..

4. the ability to only show places inside the map which are under certain category. for example to only show the places under the food category.

5. the ability to show the nearest places based on another location per category.

so i am not sure if we can benefit from Bing maps to have these functionalities? and if so can anyone advice more?

Thanks

• Edited by johnjohn11 Saturday, April 6, 2019 1:37 AM
    Saturday, April 6, 2019 12:05 AM

All replies

• Yes you can put and use the Bing maps api within asp.net

1.  You have a choice of displaying any default Bing Map layout

2.  Yes you can populate and symbolize your own places... caveat is that you must store your geometry/lat long/ in your own database.

3.  Along with the geometry you can store any additional attributes like "Category", "Type", ....

4.  You can programmatically filter any view of your stored data in 2 and 3

5.  As with above, 2,3,4  you can filter/show based upon you own queries... so yes if your data supports it.

Here is a screen shop from our .aspx page showing most of the functionality you were asking about... 

1.  Using the aerial layout with only road labels

2. Bridges and Project (Being our own places)

3.  Projects, Bridge, Load Centers, Lighting  all being categories which contain sub-categories can be shown together of independently

4.  Can be seen on the image

5.  Sorta visual -- user can click on the map anywere and see the closest project -- or listing of past projects done in the area clicked on by the user.

Monday, April 8, 2019 4:43 PM
  • Yes you can put and use the Bing maps api within asp.net

1.  You have a choice of displaying any default Bing Map layout

2.  Yes you can populate and symbolize your own places... caveat is that you must store your geometry/lat long/ in your own database.

3.  Along with the geometry you can store any additional attributes like "Category", "Type", ....

4.  You can programmatically filter any view of your stored data in 2 and 3

5.  As with above, 2,3,4  you can filter/show based upon you own queries... so yes if your data supports it.

Here is a screen shop from our .aspx page showing most of the functionality you were asking about... 

1.  Using the aerial layout with only road labels

2. Bridges and Project (Being our own places)

3.  Projects, Bridge, Load Centers, Lighting  all being categories which contain sub-categories can be shown together of independently

4.  Can be seen on the image

5.  Sorta visual -- user can click on the map anywere and see the closest project -- or listing of past projects done in the area clicked on by the user.

@TedKowal.

thanks for the very helpful reply. now let me be more specific, what i am planning to create is a facility management asp.net mvc web application. where we have Customers registering their stores (such as restaurants,maintenance, car repair, etc) , and we have Users who can access our web application, and chose to view the nearest places. for example they can chose to view the nearest restaurants, and then the map should show the nearest restaurants based on the current user location or based on another place location. so i have these 2 questions:-

1. Should we actually register the stores inside Bing map globally ? or i can populate our own map on the fly?

2. Can i get more info on what type of Bing map i need to use? and since we are going to use it commercially, then can i get more info about the license/prices?

thanks again for your valuable help and reply.

Thanks

• Edited by johnjohn11 Monday, April 8, 2019 11:58 PM
    Monday, April 8, 2019 11:57 PM
  • Hi Johnjohn11,

You can reach out to MapLic@Microsoft.com for details on licensing costs.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 5:40 AM
    Owner
  • I do a bridge/Right of Way/Lighting management systems with similar functionality as you are describing.  I store my data within a GIS system.  Many of our customers do not have GIS software so many parts of our management system is handled on the web (our case on the intranet) and using Bing maps.  Nearby is a broad topic.  In my system I use a user selected buffer to choose "Nearby" locations.  On the backend I spatially "intersect" that user selected buffer against my data location in my GIS table (these tables are stored locally in SQL Server).

There are many other strategies to get and view "Nearby".  A well written article to get you started is Location Location .  Bing Maps provide the fundamental building block to get you where you want to be.  You can either use the building blocks and programmatically code you desired functionality or purchase other services / API's in which much of the coding is already done.

I am seeing nothing that cannot be done on Bing Maps.  The choice of using Microsoft Azure services/apps,  other third party API or using your own data stores is a decision you have to make any other advising you otherwise would may set you off in an incorrect direction (Since you know your own requirements and capabilities) far better than anyone else.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 2:50 PM
  • I do a bridge/Right of Way/Lighting management systems with similar functionality as you are describing.  I store my data within a GIS system.  Many of our customers do not have GIS software so many parts of our management system is handled on the web (our case on the intranet) and using Bing maps.  Nearby is a broad topic.  In my system I use a user selected buffer to choose "Nearby" locations.  On the backend I spatially "intersect" that user selected buffer against my data location in my GIS table (these tables are stored locally in SQL Server).

There are many other strategies to get and view "Nearby".  A well written article to get you started is Location Location .  Bing Maps provide the fundamental building block to get you where you want to be.  You can either use the building blocks and programmatically code you desired functionality or purchase other services / API's in which much of the coding is already done.

I am seeing nothing that cannot be done on Bing Maps.  The choice of using Microsoft Azure services/apps,  other third party API or using your own data stores is a decision you have to make any other advising you otherwise would may set you off in an incorrect direction (Since you know your own requirements and capabilities) far better than anyone else.

ok thanks for the info, but my point if we need to register all of our customers' stores within Bing map? or i can show these stores on the fly when needed? did you get my point? for example let say i create 10 test places, and store their latitude and longitude inside our sql server DB, then can i show these places inside Bing maps on the fly? without having to register them inside Bing map globally ?

second point, when i show a place inside Bing map what are the data that i can show when users hover-over the place icon?

Thanks

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 12:55 AM
  • If I understand you correctly... you do not have to "register them inside Bing map globally."  100% of all my data is stored locally and I display them "on the fly" (programicall).  

My code basically does this:

1.  Open Bing Maps

2.  Center to some point around my location (For me the Miami Area)

3.  Allow the user in a javascript overlay to choose a layer (Bridges, Lights, Project Boundaries etc..)  

4.  Reach out to our SQL Server database and stream those individual features from the select layer using the WKT module to read the geometry and draw it overlayed onto the Bing map

The images shown are locally overlayed on top of the Bing Map local to the client accessing the map. 

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 3:20 PM