SQL Server on-premises as input and output for the Stream Analytics RRS feed

• Question

• I'm an absolute neophyte for the Stream Analytics, sorry, if I ask a question too obvious.

I'd like to use the SQL Server in my data centre as the input and output for the SA. Is it possible? If it is, where to find examples?  

Leonid Ganeline [BizTalk MVP]

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 5:57 PM

Answers

• This is true.  The bundle is not at all superfluous --- for these scenarios, having a robust queue between remote components is a good thing, and this is how I would architect my own solution even if I was building it entirely on-prem.  But you do have to pay for all the different parts in the cloud, this is true. 

The alternative is to use Azure Blobs as your up and/or down communication channel.  You can certainly have your on-prem piece write to blobs instead of EH, and instruct ASA to read from those blobs (instead of EH).  Same for the output.  This route will incur higher latencies, but it will work fine, and is certainly cheaper.

• Marked as answer by Leonid Ganeline Wednesday, November 26, 2014 12:16 AM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 12:03 AM

All replies

• This is not directly possible today.  You can, thoughm write a very simple piece of code that will run in your datacenter, and stream data from your SQL Server to an Event Hub.  Once the data is being pushed to an Event Hub, you can use ASA to process it live. 
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 10:36 PM
  • Hi Lev, 

Thank you for answer.

I've found the code for Event Hub "sender-receiver" here . So I'm good with the path from my SQL to Event Hub then to the SA. But how to pass the processed data from SA to SQL?

С уважением! 

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 11:02 PM
  • Well, it depends on your scenario.  One simple way is to use Event Hub again --- have the ASA job go from one EH to another, and have your on-prem code receive resulting events from the second EH.  Would that work for you?

Thanks,

--Lev

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 11:07 PM
  • Yes, it would work for me. And I'm completely OK with this path but one small thing. What about price of this path? If I use only AS, I pay only for AS. Now I have to use AS + 2*EventHub. Maybe it is not big money cliff but for sure it is bigger then AS only. It looks like a push to use unnecessary bundle. I personally don't like to be pushed. Again, it might be not a big money but does not look the right way, IMO. Again, it is not about technology but about psychology. 

Thank you for help!

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 11:49 PM
  • This is true.  The bundle is not at all superfluous --- for these scenarios, having a robust queue between remote components is a good thing, and this is how I would architect my own solution even if I was building it entirely on-prem.  But you do have to pay for all the different parts in the cloud, this is true. 

The alternative is to use Azure Blobs as your up and/or down communication channel.  You can certainly have your on-prem piece write to blobs instead of EH, and instruct ASA to read from those blobs (instead of EH).  Same for the output.  This route will incur higher latencies, but it will work fine, and is certainly cheaper.

• Marked as answer by Leonid Ganeline Wednesday, November 26, 2014 12:16 AM
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 12:03 AM