none
Do we need any licensing for Object Library? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have developed .Net tool in which i am exporting data into Excel file as report. My customer may use either Excel 2013 or 2010 or 2007.

For Excel, I have added reference from the COM object (Microsoft Office 12.0 Object Library) and set Embed Introp Type is True. I will deliver only tool to my customer. Not any other supporting dlls of Excel like Office.Introp.Excel or Office.core.

My doubt is, should I need Licensing to deliver the tool to my customer (since I have used Microsoft Office 12.0 Object Library  in my tool)?

thanks in advance.

Monday, November 24, 2014 5:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Vels Srini,

Thanks for posting in MSDN forum.

>>My doubt is, should I need Licensing to deliver the tool to my customer (since I have used Microsoft Office 12.0 Object Library  in my tool)?<<

No. As far as I know, we don't need have license to use the Office PIAs(It sholud be installed with Office).

Microsoft Office applications expose much of their functionality to Automation. However, you cannot use managed code (such as Visual Basic or C#) directly to automate COM-based technology such as Microsoft Office applications. To work with unmanaged COM objects using managed code in Visual Studio, you must use an interop assembly. For more information, see How to: Target Office Applications Through Primary Interop Assemblies.

You can get more detail about Office PIAs from link below:

Managed Code and Office Programming with Visual Studio

Office Primary Interop Assemblies

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 6:38 AM