none
Download Microsoft Office 365 File Icons RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Our Windows Store application has the ability to associate content with Microsoft office files, in which the user can launch the appropriate Office program by tapping the icon. From a UI perspective, I am looking to download the file image icons associated with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. to show with the files. Does anyone have a link to Microsoft that can provide these file icon images? All I can find are third-party versions of the icons, and they do not match Microsoft's icons themselves used in their applications.

Thanks for your help,

Jodie.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 6:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• I sort of answered my own question. I found vector images at Wikipedia, although I can't confirm if this is Microsoft's property or not. The SVG file format works for my needs.

Would love feedback from Microsoft, however, on their own images.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Microsoft-Office-2013-lineup.svg

Thursday, March 6, 2014 7:09 PM
  • For help finding Office 365 assets you'll be best off asking in the Office Dev Center and Microsoft Office for Developers forums.

I don't know if Office provides assets similar to the Windows Store design templates at http://design.windows.com but the Office 365 folks would be better able to answer.

I'll move this over in that direction for you.

--Rob

Thursday, March 6, 2014 7:43 PM
  • Hello Jodie,

It looks like your question is related to the Microsoft EULA. That's why I'd suggest asking such questions in Microsoft Community forums instead. For example, please take a look at the Is it legal to use icons from '2007 Office System Add-In: Icons Gallery ? forum thread.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:34 PM
  • Hi Eugene,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. We are developing this application inside the Windows 8.1 application framework, yet the Microsoft documentation for this framework says nothing about associating a file type to a system icon. We have additional file types as well (PDF and TXT files come to mind) but I was hoping to start with an official Microsoft icon library, similar to Adobe's marketing material on PDF, and build on it.

I did find some Microsoft marketing materials on Windows store, and this is what I was hoping to find but for Office 365:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj670536.aspx

Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:47 PM
  • Also, we are not selling the icons, only using them as iconography for associated files.
    Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:49 PM
  • Hi,

This forum is to discuss problems of Office development such as VBA, VSTO, Apps for Office .etc. But if you want to get all of Office 365 file icon images which may be related to the copyright, as Eugene said, you may need to post in Microsoft Community forums for more efficient responses.

Thanks.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, March 7, 2014 6:50 AM